Topics

[SergentEng] LaBelle Cars

Duncan Harvey

Mike,

Not sure if this is of any help. The La Belle end platforms are smooth on the underside. I've just assembled couplers in their boxes, whatever ones you are going to use for the Sergents, and then glued the boxes to the underside of the platform. I've used Goo and I think epoxy would work as well. I'm kitbashing a car using La Belle end platforms and am close to starting another La Belle kit. As I look at the end platform it appears to be well shaped, but lacking in detail, so I am investigating what details to add and then how to add them - ratchet and pawl, nut-bolt-washers, lower staff bracket, end railings and so on. Hope this is of some help!
Duncan

John Niemeyer <jniemeyer@...>

Mike

If I may. I've built a number of La Belle that were originally made by three different owners and the end platforms were different on all three. I can't remember which was which. I believe the first was produced with a channel like draft gear box. Too narrow for any coupler without modification. I machined this off and used a Kadee draft gear box. Drilling and tapping a brass 0-80 machine screw then filing the top flush with the upper deck. The second was a flat pad that was fairly thick. I filed that down and once again I used the Kadee draft gear box and 0-80 screw. and the current, I just drilled and tapped 0-80 again. The reason that I use the Kadee draft gear box is that the Accumate is too wide for HOn3 and doesn't allow enough clearance for the wheels. I've installed Blackstone trucks, with pick-up wipers, on my coaches. The pick-up wiper leave even less space for the draft gear box. On some coaches, I've added LED marker lights and interior lighting.

John Niemeyer

Mike,

Not sure if this is of any help. The La Belle end platforms are smooth on the underside. I've just assembled couplers in their boxes, whatever ones you are going to use for the Sergents, and then glued the boxes to the underside of the platform. I've used Goo and I think epoxy would work as well. I'm kitbashing a car using La Belle end platforms and am close to starting another La Belle kit. As I look at the end platform it appears to be well shaped, but lacking in detail, so I am investigating what details to add and then how to add them - ratchet and pawl, nut-bolt-washers, lower staff bracket, end railings and so on.
Hope this is of some help!
Duncan

Mike Van Hove

Hi, Duncan.

The platform castings I have are not smooth on the bottom, but have a small amount of raised rib.  I would call them a thin representation of the main sills.  If they are filed down smooth, there will be VERY little meat left.  The distance between the sills is way too small  to mount the couplers between the sills.  If I glue the couplr boxes to the bottom of the sills, I think the couplers will be way too low.

Ain’t model railroading fun!

Thanks,
Mike

On Feb 20, 2016, at 4:45 PM, duncan harvey train3guy@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Mike,

Not sure if this is of any help. The La Belle end platforms are
smooth on the underside. I've just assembled couplers in their boxes,
whatever ones you are going to use for the Sergents, and then glued the
boxes to the underside of the platform. I've used Goo and I think epoxy
would work as well. I'm kitbashing a car using La Belle end platforms
and am close to starting another La Belle kit. As I look at the end
platform it appears to be well shaped, but lacking in detail, so I am
investigating what details to add and then how to add them - ratchet and
pawl, nut-bolt-washers, lower staff bracket, end railings and so on.
Hope this is of some help!
Duncan

Mike Van Hove

John,
I think what I have are the ones with the channel like draft gear. altho, these are very new production, just purchased, and in the new style packaging.  Who knows?

By the way, I have read all  the articles in the W R Hon3 Annuals, and I appreciate all the fine work you guys have done.

Thanks,
Mike Van Hove

On Feb 20, 2016, at 7:13 PM, 'John Niemeyer' jniemeyer@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the kind words