Topics

[SergentEng] Is there a maximum train length?

Tim L

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the world of Sergent couplers.

Some time ago Frank made a reply somewhere about how much force could be experienced by the couplers, or something similar along those lines.
I'll have to see if I can find it, but not right now, it's lunch time
(past lunch actually) and I'm pretty hungry.

Another way to see though is to put one car with a Sergent at one end
and a normal "other coupler" at the other end as the first car behind the loco's (assuming loco's are Sergent equipped). Then you can just
keep adding "other coupler" equipped cars behind and see if or when
the Sergent fails.

If you have no Sergent equipped loco's you can still do this but it
requires two of the converter cars, coupled Sergent to Sergent.

Cheers,

Tim

On 01/04/2016 11:29, Andrew Porter ihtsbih_2014@... [SergentEng] wrote:
Hello,
I recently had the pleasure of operating on a layout with Sergent
Engineering couplers. I liked them enough that I thought I would give
the kits a try. I happen to belong to a modular model railroad club and
we sometimes run scale mile or longer trains. My questions: Is there a
maximum train length for these couplers, and has anyone had a coupler
open due to excessive force? From what I observed on the layout I
operated, it appears that there will be no issues.

Andrew