Topics

[SergentEng] Getting back to work

Alan Hummel

I just installed a pair of SE couplers,1 set on 2 different tankers to see how they couple. The couplers were purchased assembled. I can't get them to couple. It takes about 4 times backing up&moving forward,etc., before they finally couple.
Don't think this is how they're supposed to work.Could someone advise me on what the problem might be.
I slathered them up real good before assembly&make sure the couplers are properly lined up,also.
Thanks,
Alan

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:30 AM, "fsergent@..." wrote:

Hi Folks,
I have been out of the country for two weeks and am just now back and trying to get caught up. I thought I would be able to keep up with my email while away, but that didn't work out so well. Please have patience while we try to get the piles of orders and other requests that have come in over the last two weeks sorted out.
Thanks,
Frank

Ross Dando

Alan,
Then fact you " slathered " them up is my first indication of an issue. If there is anything preventing the ball from falling they will not couple reliably. The majority of people who I have heard that have had issues usually have tried to " help " things. I don't know how you are going to  undo what you did but that would be my first step.
Thanks,
Ross

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:30 AM, "fsergent@..." <fsergent@...> wrote:

Hi Folks,
I have been out of the country for two weeks and am just now back and trying to get caught up. I thought I would be able to keep up with my email while away, but that didn't work out so well. Please have patience while we try to get the piles of orders and other requests that have come in over the last two weeks sorted out.
Thanks,
Frank

Alan Hummel

Ross,what I meant by "slathering them up," was terminology used in Frank's break-in instructions. I just used pencil lead graphite on the surfaces he mentions so the couplers will slide together. That's all I did.
Thanks,
Al

On Saturday, July 5, 2014 10:28 AM, "Ross roscodando@... [SergentEng]" wrote:

[...]

Mark

Hello Alan did you turn them upside down and work them back and forth with another? I purchased assembled 87 and have only had two that had that issue. One thing we learn is the issue of real railroading.

Mark Morgan

On Jul 5, 2014, at 10:28, "Ross roscodando@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

[...]

I didn't try that as I did that when I got them about a month ago. But now that you mention it,I turned the cars upside down to get them to separate&had limited trouble with that too.(?) I remember the post on I think the website that said some people like the couplers people assemble,meaning they work better, than the preassembled couplers. I don't know what to do for them. If all else fails,maybe a good slam against the wall from a distance would loosten them up.(?)
Oh yes,I thought about the prototype when I lined mine up for coupling,too. Only they've got a much bigger problem to deal with. They can use hammers on their couplers when things don't fall into place,which would be advantagious.
Thanks,Mark.
Al

On Saturday, July 5, 2014 11:37 AM, "Mark bnonut@... [SergentEng]" wrote:

[...]

Ryan Harris

On 7/5/2014 11:55 AM, Alan Hummel ahummel72@... [SergentEng] wrote:
Oh yes,I thought about the prototype when I lined mine up for coupling,too. Only they've got a much bigger problem to deal with. They can use hammers on their couplers when things don't fall into place,which would be advantagious.
Nah, we just stretch ahead a little then bump back a little harder. No hammer necessary. ;)

Ryan H
Fort Worth, TX

Alan Hummel

Ryan H,that was a good 1,I needed that right now,been sawing up storm damage from last Sunday's storms.
Al

On Saturday, July 5, 2014 4:20 PM, "Ryan Harris ryan.harris@... [SergentEng]" wrote:

On 7/5/2014 11:55 AM, Alan Hummel ahummel72@... [SergentEng] wrote:
> Oh yes,I thought about the prototype when I lined mine up for
> coupling,too. Only they've got a much bigger problem to deal with.
> They can use hammers on their couplers when things don't fall into
> place,which would be advantagious.

Nah, we just stretch ahead a little then bump back a little harder. No
hammer necessary. ;)

Ryan H
Fort Worth, TX

Tim L

Bump back a little harder! Little wasn't hard enough for one crew
I watched one day. They were trying to pick up some wagons that had
been stored for a long time and the knuckle on the wagon just
wouldn't lock closed, no matter how hard they banged into it. They
started softly and escalated into serious run up's (perhaps 100m/300')
braking at the last second.

In the end they gave up but to this day I'm still surprised that the
wagon wasn't concertinaed into itself, they were hitting it that hard.
I wish I had a video of it.

To get this thread back on topic, it does sounds like something could
be interfering with the operation of the locking ball. Can you see if
the ball readily rises and falls when using the magnet and taking it
away? Good light is needed for that test. Do the knuckles themselves
move freely or are they stiff? If stiff try the upside down break in
procedure some more.

Also, and very important, remember our models don't have brakes. I'm
yet to see a real crew couple up to an unbraked (air or hand) wagon. If
your trying to couple up to a single or a couple of wagons coupling
might be hard to achieve when going slowly or with little force. Try
putting some downwards pressure with your fingers on the wagon being
coupled to (effectively putting the brakes on) and see if the coupling
action is any better.

If nothing seems to improve then shoot Frank an email when he gets back
and see what he says.

Tim
Land of OZ

On 06/07/2014 06:19, Ryan Harris ryan.harris@... [SergentEng] wrote:
On 7/5/2014 11:55 AM, Alan Hummel ahummel72@... [SergentEng] wrote:
> Oh yes,I thought about the prototype when I lined mine up for
> coupling,too. Only they've got a much bigger problem to deal with.
> They can use hammers on their couplers when things don't fall into
> place,which would be advantagious.

Nah, we just stretch ahead a little then bump back a little harder. No
hammer necessary. ;)

Ryan H
Fort Worth, TX

John Degnan

I have heard from a number of sources that a good many of the pre-assembled couplers do not operate as freely as the kit couplers.  This is supposedly due to the inside of the coupler head (where the ball is) does not get a good cleaning during assembly.

A strong, round toothpick is all that is needed to clean out the hole in the upper section of the head to ensure free operation of the ball... which is what is causing your problem - the ball is getting stuck in the upper cavity.

I use "Un-Cure" (from Bob Smith Industries) to disassemble any problematic pre-assembled couplers and fix the problem.  And I rarely ever have this issue with the couplers I self-assemble (and clean well during assembly).

John Degnan

wrote:
> On 7/5/2014 11:55 AM, Alan Hummel ahummel72@... [SergentEng] wrote:
> > Oh yes,I thought about the prototype when I lined mine up for
> > coupling,too. Only they've got a much bigger problem to deal with.
> > They can use hammers on their couplers when things don't fall into
> > place,which would be advantagious.
>
> Nah, we just stretch ahead a little then bump back a little harder. No
> hammer necessary. ;)
>
> Ryan H
> Fort Worth, TX

Nathan Rich

Drop em in some MEK and then wire brush the bits afterward. it looks to me like you may have missed a bit of walnut husk and it's interfering with operation. I only put graphite on the faces of my couplers, never inside. make sure to work them in manually ( a few rubs up and down coupled and a few couple-uncouple motions upside down)

Nothing is ever permanent. You'll get em.

Nathan

wrote:
> On 7/5/2014 11:55 AM, Alan Hummel ahummel72@... [SergentEng] wrote:
> > Oh yes,I thought about the prototype when I lined mine up for
> > coupling,too. Only they've got a much bigger problem to deal with.
> > They can use hammers on their couplers when things don't fall into
> > place,which would be advantagious.
>
> Nah, we just stretch ahead a little then bump back a little harder. No
> hammer necessary. ;)
>
> Ryan H
> Fort Worth, TX

Alan Hummel

Thanks im,i'm going to try with different cars using a pair of SBE couplers7see how these work. This won't solve the SE couplers problems,but I'm not giving up by any means. At 1st you don't succeed try again. If you don't suucceed after that,do like my railroad friend who was a former station agent used to say they did when things failed on the Prototype:"Use a bigger hammer".
Thanks again.
Al