Topics

[SergentEng] EC87A - DISCONTINUED?

Dale Kritzky

The kits go together pretty easy, just make sure you get the fixture to put them together.
Sent from my NOOK

"Bill Keene wakeene@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Hello Group,

When I visited the Sergent web site last week I did not find any listing of the EC87A — the assembled couplers — on the order list. Have these been discontinued? Does anyone on the list have knowledge of this or know that the assembled couplers are available or not?

I have sent Sergent an e-mail inquiry but so far have not received a reply.

My reason for asking is that with my old dog age shaky hands and less than perfect eyesight I am not sure that I would be able to assemble the “kit” couplers. Thus the reason for the use of the EC87A assembled versions.

Cheers & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Josh Baakko

I was afraid to tackle the kits... Then the A's went out, and now I've done over 100 EC87 and SBEC87's, and I prefer it.

I'm sure there is a member or two who would assemble kits for you for a nominal charge.
Josh
San Diego CA

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

Josh & Group,

IIRC… there were some U-tube videos — or similar — showing assembly of the couplers. Just can not seem to find them in my data filing system today. Old dog memory in action, I guess.

My question to you is … are there any special tools required? I know one needs the assembly jig, but other than that, what is a definite necessity?

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jul 7, 2016, at 12:00 AM, josh@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

I was afraid to tackle the kits... Then the A's went out, and now I've done over 100 EC87 and SBEC87's, and I prefer it.

I'm sure there is a member or two who would assemble kits for you for a nominal charge.
Josh
San Diego CA

Dale Kritzky

Besides the assembly fixture the only other tools I use to put together the couplers are gorilla super glue and tweezers for the balls. An idea of how easy they go together is,I met my my friend at a truckstop in Ohio, I showed him how they went together and he ended up building about 10 couplers in 20 minutes and he's got sausage fingers.
[...]

Dave Snyder

Bill, ole man time has afflicted me as well. Here are some things I find needed. A vision enhancement, Optivisor, or lighted magnifier arm, or some lucky people can get by with inexpensive reading glasses. A nice big towel rolled up and shaped into a U or circle to rest your hands and forearms on
and reduce shakes and catch those flying springs and ball bearings. Some nice long thin surgical tweezers to place bearings and springs on jig. A magnet to recover those pesky bearings. A needle to dispense the super glue (some cut the eye off halfway to give better glue volume) deposition.
Get extra springs and bearing with the jig. Probably forgot something, memory deteriorates with vision and nerves. Note that mother nature seems to help by gradually improving your vision and nervous control with repetition. Wishing you well.

Dave Snyder
Louisville, Ky.

Mike Van Hove

Dave, Bill, and anyone else who cares:

I would recommend a small jewelers screwdriver that is very slightly magnetized.  Probably touching it to a magnet a couple of times will be enough.   I use that to pick up the ball (and the spring).  When I get the ball over the hole, I just push it off the magnet with the same pencil I used to Graphite the hole.  The ball will fall right in place.  I stress, you don’t want very much magnetism as you only want to pick up one ball, not a handfull.

These are pretty easy to do, once you get started.  I agree with Dave about the towel or some kind of thing to keep the errant balls from rolling off the work surface.  Once they hit the floor, they seem to evaporate.
Same with the springs.  In actuality, you really won’t loose all that many.  I bought (1) pack of extras when I started, have built enough couplers for 110 cars and haven’t used the entire pack of spares yet.

Give it a whirl, they are kinda fun to build, and as we all know, they sure look a whole lot better.

Mike Van Hove