Topics

[SergentEng] EC64K - tests, etc.

William Keene

Jerry,

I model and operate in HO scale. Almost all of my operable freight car fleet is equipped with Sergent couplers. My operations have been on both my temporary layout and on the layouts of friends. All have been relatively flat. As my future layout will be relatively flat and the trains relatively short in the four to ten car length range, I have not worried very much at all about the rolling qualities of the trucks. As long as they are the proper prototype representation and are in gauge I have no worries. This said, I have not had any problems with knuckles not closing upon contact. And accomplishing a good smooth low impact coupling is a grand experience.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jun 20, 2014, at 11:33 AM, 'jerry via FMW.com' jerrykitts@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Trevor,

In your tests how did you find the coupling pressure of the new couplers? When coupling to a single freight car will the knuckle close without moving the car? I am interested in getting the couplers to try them out on my On3 cars which are rather small and light.

I use the Sergent couplers on some of my HO cars which are equipped with Tahoe  Model Works trucks which are very free rolling. There I have some problems with the cars rolling when I try to couple to a single car.

I understand the need to align the couplers for coupling. I like your idea of fitting a flashlight to the uncoupling tool. I found it helpful for coupling. Still with good alignment of the couplers and now being able to see the couplers better I still have some cars that would rather roll than couple.

Jerry

Jerry Kitts
Foothill Model Works
Visit our web site at
(707) 459-5587

jerry via FMW.com

Thanks Bill and Trevor for your input on the new couplers. I will be looking forward to seeing them available  again and putting some money on the table.

Jerry

Jerry Kitts
Foothill Model Works
Visit our web site at