From: "trevor@... [SergentEng]"
To: SergentEng@...
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:56:37 PM
Subject: Re: [SergentEng] EC64K - tests, etc. [1 Attachment]

And I should add that I don't want to make the knuckle into an issue since - from my perspective, anyway - it really isn't one for us modelers.
My read of the situation is that Frank is making the change to make it easier for him to produce knuckles that pass his strict standards. It will be a bonus for us that we will no longer have to file the gates off the knuckles.

But that's a straight-forward task. I would even call it a pleasant bit of modeling time - something one can do when one has a few minutes to fettle and wants a low-impact project.

- Trevor

Trevor at The Model Railway Show

Hi John:

You wrote...

"(I found that filing the nuckle AFTER assembling the coupler is the best way for me.  How about you?)"

I'm doing it the way Frank recommends - filing the knuckle before painting. I'm having no problems doing that. I hold the knuckle in a pair of smooth-jaw needle-nose pliers, grabbing it by the long thin projection that interacts with the steel ball bearing when assembled. I support the back of the knuckle with my thumb (on the hand holding the pliers), and I'm careful to only file towards my thumb so that I'm not putting any sideways pressure on that projection. As I note on my blog, I finish with a piece of 2500 grit wet/dry paper glued to a piece of rectangular brass tubing. I hold the knuckle between thumb and finger for this, and polish the face in a circular motion. Using a diamond file means there are no teeth marks to remove from the work, but I like giving it this final polish just because...

Cheers!

- Trevor