From: "trevor@... [SergentEng]" To: SergentEng@...
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:00:23 PM
Subject: [SergentEng] EC64K - tests, etc.

Hi everybody:

I suspect a few people are wondering about the recently re-released - and updated - EC64K S scale couplers (also suitable for O scale narrow gauge models).

I picked up a few packages before Frank temporarily pulled them. I exchanged an email with Frank and he tells me he wants to re-do the moving part of the knuckle as a die cast piece. This will improve manufacturing quality and consistency for him - and for us it will mean we don't have to file the gates off the face of the knuckle, so they'll be even easier to assemble.

Frank's website notes the revised versions should be on the market later this summer.

In the meantime, I'm building the ones I have and mounting them on a few representative pieces of equipment on my layout - such as the caboose at left in the attached photo (with a Kadee 808-equipped caboose for comparison). I've also done a few freight cars, a full-length (90-foot) passenger car, a steam engine (front and rear) - and even an Ambroid snow plow (front and rear).

I will put the couplers through some thorough testing on my layout before I decide whether to commit to them and place a bulk order with Frank.

It's early days but so far, so good!

Since others may be interested in my tests, I'll be posting about them on my blog and am collecting all posts into a separate category called "Sergent Couplers". Here's the link if you want to follow along:

http://themodelrailwayshow.com/cn1950s/?cat=83

Enjoy if you visit!

- Trevor

---

Trevor Marshall

Port Rowan in 1:64

An S scale study of a Canadian National Railways branch in Ontario

Trevor at The Model Railway Show

Hi John:

Thanks - I'm glad to help share information on these with interested modelers.

And I should add that I don't want to make the knuckle into an issue since - from my perspective, anyway - it really isn't one for us modelers.

My read of the situation is that Frank is making the change to make it easier for him to produce knuckles that pass his strict standards. It will be a bonus for us that we will no longer have to file the gates off the knuckles.

But that's a straight-forward task. I would even call it a pleasant bit of modeling time - something one can do when one has a few minutes to fettle and wants a low-impact project.

I hope you (and you, and you!) will check my site regularly, as I'll continue to post updates there under the "Sergent Coupler" category. For example, I've just posted about my first operating session using the new couplers.

Cheers!

- Trevor

---