Q: Sharon coupler pocket

Jeff Ford

Good evening all,

List lurker here with a question about narrow-shank Sharon couplers: What is the best off-the-shelf pocket?  Is there a Kadee pocket that works with little fuss?

Thanks,
-Jeff Ford
Sanger, TX

Bryian Sones

Jeff,

Not sure if you were looking for Ho or Hon3 pockets but....

I use these from Smoky Mountain Model Works HO Draft Gear/Couplers (smokymountainmodelworks.com)
You can also use the Accurail scale size but it appears they are out of stock again. Accurail Parts and Details - Order Online

For Hon3 I use Kadee #713, #714 or #705. with the Sharon.  I think if you want the Pocket only you need to call Kadee. I didn't see a part for them on their site.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 09:51:07 PM PST, Jeff Ford <sectioncar@...> wrote:

Good evening all,

List lurker here with a question about narrow-shank Sharon couplers: What is the best off-the-shelf pocket?  Is there a Kadee pocket that works with little fuss?

Thanks,
-Jeff Ford
Sanger, TX

Jeff Ford

Thanks Brian.  I'm doing HO, standard gauge in the early 20th century.  The Smokey Mountain draft gear looks good.  I'll have to do some homework to see if the details are appropriate for the era.

-Jeff Ford
Sanger, TX

David Varney

Jeff,
Accurail best box as you trim to whatever length you need and can leave the lid off if necessary. Have used 714 boxes but you will need to ream out the coupler pivot to fit. Also have used all the n scale boxes as well , may need glue pivot spring to coupler shank on some mods. David V

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020, 4:21 AM Bryian Sones via groups.io <bryian.sones=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Jeff,

Not sure if you were looking for Ho or Hon3 pockets but....

I use these from Smoky Mountain Model Works HO Draft Gear/Couplers (smokymountainmodelworks.com)
You can also use the Accurail scale size but it appears they are out of stock again. Accurail Parts and Details - Order Online

For Hon3 I use Kadee #713, #714 or #705. with the Sharon.  I think if you want the Pocket only you need to call Kadee. I didn't see a part for them on their site.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 09:51:07 PM PST, Jeff Ford <sectioncar@...> wrote:

Good evening all,

List lurker here with a question about narrow-shank Sharon couplers: What is the best off-the-shelf pocket?  Is there a Kadee pocket that works with little fuss?

Thanks,
-Jeff Ford
Sanger, TX

Bryian Sones

The smoky mountain pockets you can trim to fit like the accurail. You can also remove details you don't want. They are urethane cast. Also, another feature it has is a nipple inside the box where you can add an extra spring can be added to assist the centering of the coupler while coupling cars  I used the Accurail mainly for Hopper applications. I wouldn't say any one is better than the other. It depends on the look and the application you are going for.

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 11:48:22 AM PST, David Varney <vriderclan@...> wrote:

[...]

List lurker here with a question about narrow-shank Sharon couplers: What is the best off-the-shelf pocket?  Is there a Kadee pocket that works with little fuss?

Thanks,
-Jeff Ford
Sanger, TX

Peter York

Hi Jeff,

I have used all the HO KD coupler boxes (232, 234, 242, 252, 262) with Sergent compatible shank couplers. The shank just needs to be thinned down a bit. I haven’t used the narrow shanks but I assume they would work as well.

Best,

Peter York
Dallas, TX

On Dec 16, 2020, at 11:26 AM, David Varney <vriderclan@...> wrote:

[...]

List lurker here with a question about narrow-shank Sharon couplers: What is the best off-the-shelf pocket?  Is there a Kadee pocket that works with little fuss?

Thanks,
-Jeff Ford
Sanger, TX

David Jobe, Sr.

Jeff,

IIRC, the Accurail boxes represent Cardwell draft gear with large springs extended from either side of the box and the Smokey Mountain boxes represent Miner draft gear.  So, both can be useful depending on the prototype you’re modeling and how visible it would be.  As always, YMMV.

David Jobe, Sr.

Saint Ann, Missouri

ITS-NKP, October 1926