Topics

Membership

Neil Erickson

Thank you for considering my membership to the Sergent coupler .io group. 

My name is Neil Erickson, born in 1959, and have been building railroad models now over fifty years.  My love of model building lead me into the architectural practice and I became licensed in 1991 in California and then in Hawaii where I currently reside.  I work for our county government with permit and plan review management nowadays so have a little more time than when in private practice. I still draw some but for my own projects and model building. Lately this has been for 3D prints by Shapeways but am seriously considering a printer for my own use. 

Years of HO scale and Kadee couplers got me involved in operations. After building a G (F) scale layout in our yard I decided to remove my indoor layout and try On30 railroading. That was in 2010. 

Sergent S scale couplers look and work amazingly well in On30 but, like any layout, it needs to be accessible in order to switch cars. Sergent uncoupling is not only more realistic but much more reliable but the S scale couplers have become nearly impossible to find. 

I hope that this group can lead me to other modelers using or developing versions useful for my scale/gage even if I need to support these efforts with my little cash on hand. 

This is a slice of who I am as my many other interests are far from model railroading such as gardening, music, and cycling. Please let me know if you would be interested in my current layout as I post often on the MRH forum and my FaceBook page as well. Thanks again.

Neil

redbarnz@...

Neil,
Christopher Allen Zurek is the moderator/admin of the group not me. I joined the group about a month ago. Perhaps because I have put up a few comments, this may lead some to think I am a gatekeeper. I'm not.
    I welcome you to the group. The more, the merrier!

Warm regards,
Tom Barnes

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

From: SergentEngineering@groups.io <SergentEngineering@groups.io> on behalf of Neil Erickson via groups.io <neil_c_e@...>
Sent: Sunday, July 19, 2020 9:45:23 AM
To: SergentEngineering@groups.io <SergentEngineering@groups.io>
Subject: [Sergent Engineering] Membership

Thank you for considering my membership to the Sergent coupler .io group. 

My name is Neil Erickson, born in 1959, and have been building railroad models now over fifty years.  My love of model building lead me into the architectural practice and I became licensed in 1991 in California and then in Hawaii where I currently reside.  I work for our county government with permit and plan review management nowadays so have a little more time than when in private practice. I still draw some but for my own projects and model building. Lately this has been for 3D prints by Shapeways but am seriously considering a printer for my own use. 

Years of HO scale and Kadee couplers got me involved in operations. After building a G (F) scale layout in our yard I decided to remove my indoor layout and try On30 railroading. That was in 2010. 

Sergent S scale couplers look and work amazingly well in On30 but, like any layout, it needs to be accessible in order to switch cars. Sergent uncoupling is not only more realistic but much more reliable but the S scale couplers have become nearly impossible to find. 

I hope that this group can lead me to other modelers using or developing versions useful for my scale/gage even if I need to support these efforts with my little cash on hand. 

This is a slice of who I am as my many other interests are far from model railroading such as gardening, music, and cycling. Please let me know if you would be interested in my current layout as I post often on the MRH forum and my FaceBook page as well. Thanks again.

Neil

Mike Conder

Actually, to set the record straight as one of the owners I can confirm that Chris Zurek is NOT the moderator of this Sergent Engineering group.  John Niemeyer & I are owners, and I don't remember the other owners (if any or moderators (again, if any.)

Mike Conder

Neil Erickson

Mike;

Sorry for the confusion. The automated email simply asked me to write about myself. Probably more than was necessary. 

Neil Erickson 

On Sunday, July 19, 2020, 10:09 AM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

Actually, to set the record straight as one of the owners I can confirm that Chris Zurek is NOT the moderator of this Sergent Engineering group.  John Niemeyer & I are owners, and I don't remember the other owners (if any or moderators (again, if any.)

Mike Conder

Tom Barnes <redbarnz@...>

Mike,
Don't know why but in the last 24 hrs I've gotten 2 of these requests sent directly to my email account.
     I'm sending them to someone else I think can help them... I didn't know who that might be but Chris.

Cheers,
Tom Barnes

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

From: SergentEngineering@groups.io <SergentEngineering@groups.io> on behalf of Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...>
Sent: Sunday, July 19, 2020 2:09:32 PM
To: SergentEngineering@groups.io <SergentEngineering@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Sergent Engineering] Membership

Mike Conder

Darren Boes

Tom, the reason you're getting them is because you are subscribed to the Sergent mailing list. They're not so much an application email, as an introductory message from a new member. I've gotten them as well; no action is required on our part beyond welcoming new members' participation, and helping out if someone has a question which you can answer!

These lists work as an automated distribution system, members send one message to the list, which then distributes the message to all members (who have selected to receive emails). Much easier than old school chain or group letters, and simpler than everyone having maintain a list in their email!

Cheers,

Darren Boes 
Lethbridge AB Canada 

Todd Sullivan

Hi Neil,

I don't think your introduction was overboard.  Actually, it was quite interesting, and I enjoy learning about other modelers' interests.  I suspect many others do, too, and it they don't want to read a message, there's always the delete button.  (And I don't mean that in any disrespectful way.) 

So, welcome to the group.  If you are interested in corresponding to other S scale modelers, I think a few of them hang out on the Steam Era Freight Car list (MainSTMFC on groups.io).

Todd Sullivan

John Niemeyer

I should set the record straight as well.

Mike Conder and I are the owners/moderators of this group.
Chris Zurek and I are the owners/administrator for the Facebook group

John Niemeyer

Mike Conder

Mike Conder

Also we as owners approve these first messages so we can screen out scammers and the like. 

Mike Conder 

Neil Erickson

Gotcha. This akin to the old bulletin board style forums. Not my favorite but still has a place. I like that we can #Mike Conder to say thanks!

Neil Erickson 

On Sunday, July 19, 2020, 12:01 PM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

Also we as owners approve these first messages so we can screen out scammers and the like. 

Mike Conder 

Mike Conder

You're w lcome but more thanks to Jihn Niemeyer, basically the founder of the original Yahoo list.  I am but his faithful servant here .... 😉

Mike Conder

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 8:34 PM Neil Erickson via groups.io <neil_c_e=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Gotcha. This akin to the old bulletin board style forums. Not my favorite but still has a place. I like that we can #Mike Conder to say thanks!

Neil Erickson 

On Sunday, July 19, 2020, 12:01 PM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

Mike Conder 

John Niemeyer

Huhh!  Where’s that beer I told you to get me? Mug

John

You're welcome but more thanks to John Niemeyer, basically the founder of the original Yahoo list.  I am but his faithful servant here .... 😉

Mike Conder

Neil Erickson

Mike Conder

Neil Erickson

Come visit Hawaii. During the 14 day quarantine I’ll buy you a beer, or 100 or so ... 

Christopher Zurek

I am the owner of the Sergent Coupler group on Facebook. John Niemeyer helps me with that group.

Chris Z.

On 7/19/2020 3:09 PM, Mike Conder wrote:

Mike Conder