Topics

Making the plunge!

Ed Tibbetts <tippytib@...>

I am about ready to " make the plunge" and convert my 50 pieces of HOn3 rolling stock/engines to Sergent couplers. They all have Kadee 714's now. I have 2 questions.
Are the Sharon's compatible with the other Sergent couplers?
Can I get a q144 "bulk" pack of the Sharon RNC87 couplers? (Like the RNB's)

Thanks.    Ed T.
P.S.  My first post. Been watching quietly for a couple of years.

Jonathan Zook

Hi Ed,

Glad to hear you're going to start the conversion to the Sharon couplers.  Sergent Engineering does indeed sell a 144 count pack of Sharons.  It's item # ENC87KB, and can be found on the narrow shank link on his website.  If you haven't already, I suggest picking up a copy of the HOn3 Annual from 2014 to read the article John Niemeyer, Mike Conder, and I wrote about the Sharon couplers.  Here's the link if you don't own it:

https://shop.whiteriverproductions.com/products/ho14

As far as coupling compatibility with other Sergent couplers, I don't have any experience with that.  Hopefully someone else here on the forum can provide feedback.

Good luck!

Jon

Ed Tibbetts <tippytib@...>

I "bit the bullet" today and ordered a "starter kit" of RNC87's. I have some LaBelle box cars that have very little space between them when coupled together, so I am hopeful the C's will leave room for the uncupling wand. These cars will belong to the Red Mountain R.R., a switchback line off the summit of my HOn3 Colorado R.R.. I got an email back from Frank @ Sergent last night, and he said I would have no compatibility issues mixing the Sharon's with SBEC87P130K's. I plan to use the sbec's as pilot couplers on my rod engines. All my loco's are DeadRail, so I don't have to worry about electrical shorts if I double head the hill. :-) He also said he can supply the bulk (144) pack of RNC87K's. Said just order the B's, and send an email stating I really want the C's.  :-)

John Niemeyer

Ed

I modified the draft gear box from a Micro Trains Line (MTL) 1025/1029 to work with the RNB87K couplers for several of my HOn3 models, including some Labelle. It would be nice if someone better than me, would make that draft gear box and sell it. I would buy hundreds for my HOn30 fleet.

Also if you’re worried about shorting thru the couplers. How often are you going to couple a rod engine front to front? The rear coupler is almost always insulated anyway, so not an issue. For my brass engines, I have successfully use Sergent RS1P87 & ES1P87 front pilot couplers with very little modifications to the engine.

John

I "bit the bullet" today and ordered a "starter kit" of RNC87's. I have some LaBelle box cars that have very little space between them when coupled together, so I am hopeful the C's will leave room for the uncupling wand. These cars will belong to the Red Mountain R.R., a switchback line off the summit of my HOn3 Colorado R.R.. I got an email back from Frank @ Sergent last night, and he said I would have no compatibility issues mixing the Sharon's with SBEC87P130K's. I plan to use the sbec's as pilot couplers on my rod engines. All my loco's are DeadRail, so I don't have to worry about electrical shorts if I double head the hill. :-) He also said he can supply the bulk (144) pack of RNC87K's. Said just order the B's, and send an email stating I really want the C's.  :-)

Ed Tibbetts <tippytib@...>

I put up a couple of pictures of my first candidates. This is 1/2 the Red Mountain R.R. tolling stock. I figured if Otto Mears could use a shay om the Silverton R.R, I could use a climax.
I'll post again when I have the 6 sets of couplers installed and running.

Dale Buxton

Ed,
Funny you should ask about an after market coupler box for Sergent Sharon couplers in HOn3. Right now I’m working on a design to send to Shapeways to have them do in some kind of nylon. I’m not promising anything just yet. I have to see if my design will work with Shapeways production capabilities.

I’m thinking of a spring centering design that would use the coil spring that comes with the couplers. You would need to drill a tiny hole in the back end of the couplers shank and put a brass pin in the hole that would have about 1mm left sticking out the shanks back end. This pin would act as a keeper for the spring that would be mounted behind the shank. Or you could just leave the spring off like I do a lot of the time.

The box would be one piece with a length that is roughly the minimum of the distance between the inside back of a cars end beam and the front side of the bolster beam.

Right now all I use is the bottom half of a Kadee 714 coupler box on my scratch built cars. They do the job very nicely. But, I can see where are times where a self-centering coupler would be helpfull.

Dale Buxton

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018, 15:04, John Niemeyer <reverend455@...> wrote:

[...]

Got my Sergent Starter Set in the mail yesterday. Made a parts box for all the minute parts, plus the mounting screws and Kadee coupler pockets. I was pleasently surprised to find each package of RNC87K's contained a "bakers 1/2 dozen parts😊. Thanks Frank!

Jim King

Ed,

I now offer detailed, Sergent-compatible coupler boxes for the compatible- and narrow-shank styles.  Go here to view more info:

http://www.smokymountainmodelworks.com/HO_draft_gear+cplrs.html

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com