INSTALLATION ON BLI ATSF 2-8-2 FRONT PILOT

Bill Keene

I am in the process of converting my newly acquired Broadway Limited ATSF 2-8-2 to Sergent couplers and have run into a challenge.

When simply replacing the factory coupler the standard E87 coupler is too short and also mounts too low. I do not have the longer shank couplers in my supply. I believe that a longer shank is required but the low mounting height is still an issue. Has anyone on the list made this conversion? If so, I would greatly appreciate learning what was required to result in a successful conversion.

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Steve Wintner

How much too short Bill? Are you talking 1/8 th inch, less, more?

I can't recall what I did to my BLI 2-8-2 and it's packed away....

On Sun, Apr 3, 2022 at 10:36, Bill Keene via groups.io
<bill41@...> wrote:
I am in the process of converting my newly acquired Broadway Limited ATSF 2-8-2 to Sergent couplers and have run into a challenge.

When simply replacing the factory coupler the standard E87 coupler is too short and also mounts too low. I do not have the longer shank couplers in my supply. I believe that a longer shank is required but the low mounting height is still an issue. Has anyone on the list made this conversion? If so, I would greatly appreciate learning what was required to result in a successful conversion.

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Bill Keene

The coupler head is barely outside the coupler box and there is interference between the coupler head and the boiler tubes on the “switcher pilot”.

The coupler is close to half a head height low. Roughly the thickness of the coupler shank.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

<bill41@...> wrote:
I am in the process of converting my newly acquired Broadway Limited ATSF 2-8-2 to Sergent couplers and have run into a challenge.

When simply replacing the factory coupler the standard E87 coupler is too short and also mounts too low. I do not have the longer shank couplers in my supply. I believe that a longer shank is required but the low mounting height is still an issue. Has anyone on the list made this conversion? If so, I would greatly appreciate learning what was required to result in a successful conversion.

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Nathan Rich <thaddeusthudpucker@...>

Might be possible to 3D print you something but it would be a dummy. Do you do a lot of facing point switch moves?

Nathan Rich

<bill41@...> wrote:
I am in the process of converting my newly acquired Broadway Limited ATSF 2-8-2 to Sergent couplers and have run into a challenge.

When simply replacing the factory coupler the standard E87 coupler is too short and also mounts too low. I do not have the longer shank couplers in my supply. I believe that a longer shank is required but the low mounting height is still an issue. Has anyone on the list made this conversion? If so, I would greatly appreciate learning what was required to result in a successful conversion.

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Bill Keene

Someone was producing and testing 3D printed long shank comparable couplers but I have lost that link. Yes. I have thought about the idea of 3D printing but my CAD capabilities/knowledge are minimal. Non-Existent is a better word.

The layout is a switching layout masquerading as a branch line. The mix between facing point and trailing point switch moves on the sharp end of the loco is about 50/50.

I pulled the loco off the shelf yesterday and intend to do a study of the issues that are effecting the mismatched coupler height this weekend.

Cheers,
— Bill

<bill41@...> wrote:
I am in the process of converting my newly acquired Broadway Limited ATSF 2-8-2 to Sergent couplers and have run into a challenge.

When simply replacing the factory coupler the standard E87 coupler is too short and also mounts too low. I do not have the longer shank couplers in my supply. I believe that a longer shank is required but the low mounting height is still an issue. Has anyone on the list made this conversion? If so, I would greatly appreciate learning what was required to result in a successful conversion.

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Image.jpegImage.jpegImage.jpegI’m well along with the process of picking up with the couplers. These are test 3D prints. Next will be investment castings. Stay tuned!

Visit my page for more info

Thanks

Chris

Sent from my Apple propaganda device.

<bill41@...> wrote:
I am in the process of converting my newly acquired Broadway Limited ATSF 2-8-2 to Sergent couplers and have run into a challenge.

When simply replacing the factory coupler the standard E87 coupler is too short and also mounts too low. I do not have the longer shank couplers in my supply. I believe that a longer shank is required but the low mounting height is still an issue. Has anyone on the list made this conversion? If so, I would greatly appreciate learning what was required to result in a successful conversion.

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Nathan Rich <thaddeusthudpucker@...>

Investment cast couplers: Nice to see someone doing this! The balls are easy to get from Amazon or similar, a package of 1500 1mm balls is $7.49 at last check. Used these to assemble a bunch of "Genuine" couplers and they work perfectly.

Nathan Rich

<bill41@...> wrote:
I am in the process of converting my newly acquired Broadway Limited ATSF 2-8-2 to Sergent couplers and have run into a challenge.

When simply replacing the factory coupler the standard E87 coupler is too short and also mounts too low. I do not have the longer shank couplers in my supply. I believe that a longer shank is required but the low mounting height is still an issue. Has anyone on the list made this conversion? If so, I would greatly appreciate learning what was required to result in a successful conversion.

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Nathan, thanks for the great info.