Topics

HOn3 Couplers

Mark Lewis

First, thanks for moving this group to this new format. Glad to be proactive.
Yesterday I finished building 3 pair of RNC87K narrow shank HOn3 couplers...my first Sergents.
These are to be installed on Rail Line box/stock cars.
Instead of using Frank's recommended Rustoleum primer, I used Tamiya #TS-1, Red Brown, in a spray can. I liked the more subdued color
...more realistic.
Looking forward to converting all my Blackstone rolling stock to Sergents.

Mark Lewis
Stony Point, NC

John Degnan

Mark, I'd like to see some photos of your results using the selected paint... and would like to know how you applied it.

Thanks.

John D.

Scaler164@...

On February 4, 2018 at 7:38 AM Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:

First, thanks for moving this group to this new format. Glad to be proactive.
Yesterday I finished building 3 pair of RNC87K narrow shank HOn3 couplers...my first Sergents.
These are to be installed on Rail Line box/stock cars.
Instead of using Frank's recommended Rustoleum primer, I used Tamiya #TS-1, Red Brown, in a spray can. I liked the more subdued color
...more realistic.
Looking forward to converting all my Blackstone rolling stock to Sergents.

Mark Lewis
Stony Point, NC

Mark Lewis

John:

Here is a photo of the painted couplers and the paint I used. I did not have to "buff" the exterior of the couplers ad you should do with Rustoleum,  since the Tamiya paint is flat and has very fine pigments, so there is no rough surface.
Sorry for the poor cell phone photos.

Mark Lewis
Stony Point, NC

Mike Conder

That looks like a good color, will be interested in how it holds up in operation.

Mike Conder

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 10:49 AM Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:
John:

Here is a photo of the painted couplers and the paint I used. I did not have to "buff" the exterior of the couplers ad you should do with Rustoleum,  since the Tamiya paint is flat and has very fine pigments, so there is no rough surface.
Sorry for the poor cell phone photos.

Mark Lewis
Stony Point, NC

Charles Smith

Thank you for moving me over to the new Sergent Engineering group. So, I am not a robot but a guy who has been in a variety of scales but mostly interested in narrow gauge. Since space has always been scarce, I settled on Hon3 years ago. When I was starting my career, I tried ON3 with Clouser couplers that worked like both the prototype and the Sergent. Space and expenses became obvious to my college teacher’s budget but I never forgot those smooth-working couplers Bill Clouser made in lost-wax brass casting process. Their big problem was short circuits since cars, couplers, and trucks all conducted electricity well!

Thanks Mark for the picture of your painted coupler; I have been afraid to paint, especially from a can but will try it now that I have seen that it can be done. My first two bulk orders of couplers came chemically colored but my last 100 came natural metal which does not look as good to my eyes.

Charles Smith