HO couplers

Matt

Does anybody know if the remaining types of couplers are being produced by anyone as of yet. I'm referring  to double shelf, tight lock, type E with extended and shortened  shank and type F.

Todd Fisher

Unfortunately I think we are all shit out of luck when it comes to them. Frank hasn't spoken a word in months maybe even a year now and nobody has remotely shown to be working on anything other than dummy couplers which is all fine and dandy if you like using the ole 0-5-0 to uncouple and couple cars.

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021, 4:10 PM Matt via groups.io <matthhaarr8=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Does anybody know if the remaining types of couplers are being produced by anyone as of yet. I'm referring  to double shelf, tight lock, type E with extended and shortened  shank and type F.

Tim L

I think that current assessment is a little unfair, if not completely understandable as an emotion. It's not because I, and, I imagine many others don't want to try it but other factors are definitely in play for many of us.

Firstly, there have been people trying to do working couplers. These have only been what would be called experimental models though but they did make working couplers.

Secondly there's years of development experience (processes and equipment that works and what doesn't) that Frank has with them that I doubt anyone here has. I'd say we're all beginners on this road. This experience would take considerable time and money to gain.

Thirdly, there was a little thing called Covid-19 that happened. I don't know about you or anyone else here but it certainly screwed me over, and still is and is going to do so for quite some time. It has left virtually no money to do things like say buy a PC that can handle 3D modelling and buy an expensive 3D printer (they're all expensive here) and buy a foundry and materials for casting.

While Franks succession plan is admirable in the tantalising end result of possibly scoring the diecast coupler dies at a very good price for someone who successfully made the investment cast couplers I don't believe the "here's the drawings, work it out for yourself" method was going to work for anyone to succeed in the short (< 5 years) term.

- T

On 01/02/2021 10:03, Todd Fisher wrote:
Unfortunately I think we are all s**t out of luck when it comes to them. Frank hasn't spoken a word in months maybe even a year now and nobody has remotely shown to be working on anything other than dummy couplers which is all fine and dandy if you like using the ole 0-5-0 to uncouple and couple cars.

RJ Dial

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 01:10 PM, Matt wrote:
Does anybody know if the remaining types of couplers are being produced by anyone as of yet. I'm referring  to double shelf, tight lock, type E with extended and shortened  shank and type F.
Then there's the wildcard as to what happened when Frank offered up all the casting equipment here on the groups.io list. Who ended up with it?

To get a better feel as to what is going on with the 3D files Frank made available to the public domain, watch the Facebook Sergent Coupler site as they are posting photos and status there.
RJ Dial
Mendocino, CA

Chris Costello

I don't know if anyone actually scored the equipment.  We (JL Innovative) attempted to contact him several times through multiple multiple methods and have not received a response.

With that said, we still plan on working on them, however covid has had the opposite effect on us than expected.  We are buried in orders for our current line and do not have time for product development.  However we are streamlining our processes and hope to start working on them shortly...even if "shortly" is a year or more from now.  We could easily do 3d printed couplers or dummy couplers,  but when we announce our product, it will not be anything less than a fully functional metal coupler.

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 01:10 PM, Matt wrote:
Does anybody know if the remaining types of couplers are being produced by anyone as of yet. I'm referring  to double shelf, tight lock, type E with extended and shortened  shank and type F.
Then there's the wildcard as to what happened when Frank offered up all the casting equipment here on the groups.io list. Who ended up with it?

To get a better feel as to what is going on with the 3D files Frank made available to the public domain, watch the Facebook Sergent Coupler site as they are posting photos and status there.
RJ Dial
Mendocino, CA

Bill Keene

Just thinking about printed couplers…

For those of us that operate on a small layout with trains of a max length of 14 cars, and a usual train length of six cars, would not printed couplers be acceptable as the drawbar loads would not be all that high.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Feb 1, 2021, at 8:49 AM, Chris Costello <chris@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim I agree the circumstances are unforseen and unfortunate that nobody can control. It just seems that the priority has diminished and Frank has stopped all communication. So many I know have sent emails to no avail and not ever gotten responses.

Bill Keene

For those of us that stay away from Facebook as if it was the plague … is there another “trustable" site of communications about Sergent Couplers? It appears that the Group IO message site is going silent.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Feb 1, 2021, at 7:43 AM, RJ Dial <radiodial57@...> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 01:10 PM, Matt wrote:
Does anybody know if the remaining types of couplers are being produced by anyone as of yet. I'm referring  to double shelf, tight lock, type E with extended and shortened  shank and type F.
Then there's the wildcard as to what happened when Frank offered up all the casting equipment here on the groups.io list. Who ended up with it?

To get a better feel as to what is going on with the 3D files Frank made available to the public domain, watch the Facebook Sergent Coupler site as they are posting photos and status there.
RJ Dial
Mendocino, CA

andyr@...

Is it still possible to buy the regular EN87 couplers from the website?

I've not had a reply to my email query to Frank either. Are he and Melissa OK?

Andy

Scot Cerka

I purchased multiple EC87KB (Compatible Shank bulk packs) last week and received a shipping noctice.

I think if they are marked Stock Item they are available. The EN87 are marked as In Stock.

Scot Cerka

Is it still possible to buy the regular EN87 couplers from the website?

I've not had a reply to my email query to Frank either. Are he and Melissa OK?

Andy

Alvia Hearren

I just ordered the EC87KB couplers and three packs of ENC87K couplers. Hoping those will arrive in a timely fashion. I figure the former will more than cover my coupler needs for a few years. Always a good plan to have spares on hand too.

I'd like to see the Tight-Lock couplers come back for when I can do streamlined passenger trains.

Alvie Hearren

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 4:19 PM Scot Cerka <srcerka@...> wrote:

I purchased multiple EC87KB (Compatible Shank bulk packs) last week and received a shipping noctice.

I think if they are marked Stock Item they are available. The EN87 are marked as In Stock.

Scot Cerka

Is it still possible to buy the regular EN87 couplers from the website?

I've not had a reply to my email query to Frank either. Are he and Melissa OK?

Andy

Todd,

I can't tell if Frank has just stopped communication or not but the no response to emails well it's been that way for as long as I can remember, at times Frank just doesn't get emails. I remember several times over the past several years of not getting responses myself.

Now, the little titbit that was posted earlier that Frank offered up his investment casting equipment on this list (I never saw that post!) I'd say pretty much confirms that the investment cast couplers will not ever be available again from Frank. I do hope someone who can use the equipment to produce couplers got a hold of it.

Onto Bill's post, I agree. FB can get stuffed as far as I am concerned.
Having seen FB kill off a few email lists over the years because someone decided to start a competing group there it looks like if I was to ever succeed in producing couplers no one will ever know.

- T

On 02/02/2021 06:12, Todd Fisher wrote:
Tim I agree the circumstances are unforseen and unfortunate that nobody can control. It just seems that the priority has diminished and Frank has stopped all communication. So many I know have sent emails to no avail and not ever gotten responses.

David Fromm

Well I just placed an order for quite a few couplers, jigs, wands, etc.  Does anyone know how quickly Frank might ship?  I’ve waited much to long to place an order, I sure hope it goes through.
Dave Fromm

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 08:49 AM, Chris Costello wrote:
I don't know if anyone actually scored the equipment.  We (JL Innovative) attempted to contact him several times through multiple multiple methods and have not received a response.

With that said, we still plan on working on them, however covid has had the opposite effect on us than expected.  We are buried in orders for our current line and do not have time for product development.  However we are streamlining our processes and hope to start working on them shortly...even if "shortly" is a year or more from now.  We could easily do 3d printed couplers or dummy couplers,  but when we announce our product, it will not be anything less than a fully functional metal coupler.
That is good news, and a company with the history and products like JL Innovative fully has my support.
RJ Dial
Mendocino, CA

RJ Dial

Here is the post from last September with the 3D equipment. Note that it is for just the casting equipment, not the standard die-cast couplers.
https://groups.io/g/SergentEngineering/message/2093

The plan for the die-cast line was covered by Frank Sergent in 2018
https://groups.io/g/SergentEngineering/message/1564

Whoever is able to pull the sword of Excalibur from the 3D printed stone shall inherit....
RJ

RJ Dial

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 02:39 AM, Tim L wrote:

Onto Bill's post, I agree. FB can get stuffed as far as I am concerned.
Having seen FB kill off a few email lists over the years because someone
decided to start a competing group there. It looks like if I was to ever
succeed in producing couplers no one will ever know.
Ah, I can't let the Facebook thing slide without saying, "Ya all are doing it wrong, guys!".  Key is to not have any "friends"  Zero, Zip Nada!  No exceptions!  Just Groups.
Whenever I check FB all I see are my lovely Railroad & Modeling groups with lots of photos, videos and discussion threads. My old listserve and Yahoo groups have died off. If Herr Zuckerberg knows I like trains, well whoop-de-do.

Note, it was a PIA just to get this one picture here in. 14 clicks. Just one image!
On Facebook, it's all about sharing Photos and how to's.  One click, drag and drop, photo repositories, you name it.
Thanks for letting me vent...
RJ Dial

Jamison Amis

Agreed with RJ.  FB and social media platforms in general are just another tool, and their effectiveness hinges on how they're utilized.  Keeping few "friends" and employing it principally for the information exchange in groups is the best way to go about it.  It can serve as a much more dynamic and powerful method of mass communication than email chats.

Jamison Amis

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021, 11:22 AM RJ Dial <radiodial57@...> wrote:
[...]

Tim, yea it has been quite sometime. I know anytime I ordered I always had to send a second email to him before he would respond. As far as the investment cast stuff I hope someone has picked them up as well. Unfortunately for me I got interested in sergents a little late so by the time I was halfway thru my fleet of cars and ready for the tightlocks and stuff they were already gone. I'm in a holding pattern for my train of rd4 coal hoppers due to the lack of type Fs.

George Hofmann

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 11:29 AM, Todd Fisher wrote:
Tim, yea it has been quite sometime. I know anytime I ordered I always had to send a second email to him before he would respond.
This is interesting. I recently submitted an online order for EC87K couplers. After I sent the order I changed my mind and decided I wanted narrow shank instead. So I sent an email to Sergent using the info@... address requesting the change if they could do it. No reply. So figuring that I was going to get the fat shanks, I placed another order for the narrow ones. The following day I got the original order in the mail and it was narrow shanks. So they read my email and processed it. That is commendable. The not so commendable thing is that whoever read it could have hit the reply button and typed 'OK' and sent it within about 2 seconds.
But the big picture is that my order was processed quickly and accurately and I received it only 2 days after it was picked up by USPS, shipped from TN to WA.

George

Bill Keene

It has been a year since I have ordered anything from Sergent Couplers. I have always ordered via mail after checking the web site to learn what was available and to confirm the prices. Payment was with a check.

Orders have always been correctly processed and shipped/received within a reasonable time.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA