ESU uncoupling action

George Hofmann

For those of you with ESU decoders and Sergent couplers, you might want to consider adding the Automatic Coupler Function to your function list. It is described in section 12.5.7.2 of the Loksound manual. It was provided to enable control of powered couplers but it works well in the case of decoupling Sergents. It provides an automatic sequence of actions when the function is activated. The loco will back slowly for a little bit, then pause a little bit, and finally move forward for a little bit. This provides the slack that the couplers need in order to uncouple reliably (like the real thing apparently) and the movement to complete the decoupling. The "little bits" and the speed are all configurable. It beats trying to provide slack using the throttle since only one button needs to be pushed. It can be configured to act slowly enough such that the operator has enough time to deploy the magic wand.

In my case I set the CVs as follows:
CV246 Speed = 50 Note: A non-zero value activates the uncoupler function
CV248 Push time = 61 (1 sec)
CV245 Wait time = 122 (2 secs)
CV247 Move time = 122 (2 secs)

I'm thinking that I have to increase the push time so that it works when uncoupling far away from the engine. It has to be long enough to take up all of the slack in the string of cars. Also the speed and time values may be affected by how much acceleration/deceleration is in use, I haven't experimented with that.

George
Edgewood, WA

Mike Van Hove

Not much slack to run in or out with Sergent Couplers.

That’s one of the reasons I chose to replace all my Kadees with Sergents.

Nike Van Hove

George Hofmann

On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 03:54 PM, Mike Van Hove wrote:
Not much slack to run in or out with Sergent Couplers.

That’s one of the reasons I chose to replace all my Kadees with Sergents.

Nike Van Hove
So true. Watching the cars bob back and forth in a train full of Kadees is disconcerting.