ENC87K Assembly Fixture?


Bryian Sones
 

Hi All, has anyone created an assembly fixture for the ENC87K?

Regards,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


Dale Kritzky
 

Sergent has or had a nice brass assembly fixture for the enc87K. Dale



On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 5:46 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io
<bryian.sones@...> wrote:
Hi All, has anyone created an assembly fixture for the ENC87K?

Regards,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


Bryian Sones
 

Yeah, I don't think that exists anymore. When I started using Sergent couplers seven years ago I bought all the fixtures and tools Frank had listed. 
A least I thought. Maybe I missed that one? Anyway, was  looking to see if someone has created a 3D printed assembly for them or something.
  

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 03:32:50 PM PST, Dale Kritzky via groups.io <dalekritzky@...> wrote:


Sergent has or had a nice brass assembly fixture for the enc87K. Dale



On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 5:46 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io
<bryian.sones@...> wrote:
Hi All, has anyone created an assembly fixture for the ENC87K?

Regards,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


Dale Kritzky
 

Just looking at the site, he has a resin fixture, just keep scrolling down on the narrow shank page, it's at the bottom and available. Dale


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 6:53 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io
<bryian.sones@...> wrote:
Yeah, I don't think that exists anymore. When I started using Sergent couplers seven years ago I bought all the fixtures and tools Frank had listed. 
A least I thought. Maybe I missed that one? Anyway, was  looking to see if someone has created a 3D printed assembly for them or something.
  

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 03:32:50 PM PST, Dale Kritzky via groups.io <dalekritzky@...> wrote:


Sergent has or had a nice brass assembly fixture for the enc87K. Dale



On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 5:46 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io
<bryian.sones@...> wrote:
Hi All, has anyone created an assembly fixture for the ENC87K?

Regards,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


Bryian Sones
 

Dale, thanks but not seeing what you are. Do you see the Part number? Maybe that will help?

I appreciate you trying to help.

Thanks 

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 03:59:57 PM PST, Dale Kritzky via groups.io <dalekritzky@...> wrote:


Just looking at the site, he has a resin fixture, just keep scrolling down on the narrow shank page, it's at the bottom and available. Dale


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 6:53 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io
<bryian.sones@...> wrote:
Yeah, I don't think that exists anymore. When I started using Sergent couplers seven years ago I bought all the fixtures and tools Frank had listed. 
A least I thought. Maybe I missed that one? Anyway, was  looking to see if someone has created a 3D printed assembly for them or something.
  

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 03:32:50 PM PST, Dale Kritzky via groups.io <dalekritzky@...> wrote:


Sergent has or had a nice brass assembly fixture for the enc87K. Dale



On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 5:46 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io
<bryian.sones@...> wrote:
Hi All, has anyone created an assembly fixture for the ENC87K?

Regards,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


Dale Kritzky
 

The part is AFN, its $8.00 and n stock. Dale


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 7:18 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io
<bryian.sones@...> wrote:
Dale, thanks but not seeing what you are. Do you see the Part number? Maybe that will help?

I appreciate you trying to help.

Thanks 

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 03:59:57 PM PST, Dale Kritzky via groups.io <dalekritzky@...> wrote:


Just looking at the site, he has a resin fixture, just keep scrolling down on the narrow shank page, it's at the bottom and available. Dale


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 6:53 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io
<bryian.sones@...> wrote:
Yeah, I don't think that exists anymore. When I started using Sergent couplers seven years ago I bought all the fixtures and tools Frank had listed. 
A least I thought. Maybe I missed that one? Anyway, was  looking to see if someone has created a 3D printed assembly for them or something.
  

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 03:32:50 PM PST, Dale Kritzky via groups.io <dalekritzky@...> wrote:


Sergent has or had a nice brass assembly fixture for the enc87K. Dale



On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 5:46 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io
<bryian.sones@...> wrote:
Hi All, has anyone created an assembly fixture for the ENC87K?

Regards,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


Bryian Sones
 

Oh I see, I was look for a ENC reference not EN87K. I should have that im toolbox then. 

Thanks Dale. 

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 04:43:44 PM PST, Dale Kritzky via groups.io <dalekritzky@...> wrote:


The part is AFN, its $8.00 and n stock. Dale


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 7:18 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io
<bryian.sones@...> wrote:
Dale, thanks but not seeing what you are. Do you see the Part number? Maybe that will help?

I appreciate you trying to help.

Thanks 

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 03:59:57 PM PST, Dale Kritzky via groups.io <dalekritzky@...> wrote:


Just looking at the site, he has a resin fixture, just keep scrolling down on the narrow shank page, it's at the bottom and available. Dale


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 6:53 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io
<bryian.sones@...> wrote:
Yeah, I don't think that exists anymore. When I started using Sergent couplers seven years ago I bought all the fixtures and tools Frank had listed. 
A least I thought. Maybe I missed that one? Anyway, was  looking to see if someone has created a 3D printed assembly for them or something.
  

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 03:32:50 PM PST, Dale Kritzky via groups.io <dalekritzky@...> wrote:


Sergent has or had a nice brass assembly fixture for the enc87K. Dale



On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 5:46 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io
<bryian.sones@...> wrote:
Hi All, has anyone created an assembly fixture for the ENC87K?

Regards,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


George Hofmann
 

Just got my AFN in the mail yesterday. A good rule for maintaining your mental health is to not try to assemble these things without a fixture.

George


Paul Dallard
 

I’ll have to remember that. I just ordered the 144 pack, so I have a lot of assembling to do.

Paul




On Feb 4, 2021, at 10:38 AM, George Hofmann <george.hofmann@...> wrote:

Just got my AFN in the mail yesterday. A good rule for maintaining your mental health is to not try to assemble these things without a fixture.

George


RJ Dial
 

I have it down so that if I have a drop of CA ready on my little glass pallet, I can assemble a coupler in the fixture in about 30 seconds, with just under a minute being more typical so as to avoid shooting the little bearing off into space. 
(Not counting pre-trimming any knuckle flash or applying pencil lead graphite)
RJ Dial


George Hofmann
 

RJ
You are fast! But it's true that the fixture makes assembling quick and easy. I have, through experience, found the following. 
1. Use a good magnifier and plenty of lighting
2. Assemble within a small dish shaped container of some sort. I use a plain white, shallow bowl about 3 inches in diameter. It keeps the parts from flying away, in particular the ball, and aids visibility.
3. Follow the factory recommendations for assembly, especially for removing flash and burnishing the ball hole with a toothpick. The two moving parts need to be completely unhindered.
4. The cover has a peg that fits into a hole on the main body. If you ever want to disassemble using Frank's soaking in acetone technique, do not get CA in the peg/hole area.
5. Apply CA sparingly. Having a small drop on a smooth surface that can be transferred with a toothpick is the right way to do it.
6. If you are in a bad mood, do something else for awhile

George


Todd Sullivan
 

Just a small tip on disassembling CA'd parts.  I found, by accident, that soaking the parts in water for12+ hours usually causes them to fall apart.  Probably an analog to the freezer method of disassembly.

Todd Sullivan


Bryian Sones
 

George,

I love your last suggestion on your list.  That is so true! :)

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


On Friday, February 5, 2021, 10:00:52 AM PST, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:


Just a small tip on disassembling CA'd parts.  I found, by accident, that soaking the parts in water for12+ hours usually causes them to fall apart.  Probably an analog to the freezer method of disassembly.

Todd Sullivan


Bryian Sones
 

George,

I love your last suggestion on your list.  That is so true! :)

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA


On Friday, February 5, 2021, 10:00:52 AM PST, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:


Just a small tip on disassembling CA'd parts.  I found, by accident, that soaking the parts in water for12+ hours usually causes them to fall apart.  Probably an analog to the freezer method of disassembly.

Todd Sullivan