Draft Boxes

Riley Kinney

Good morning,

I did a short search in the messages but didn’t find an answer to my question.  Which HO scale manufacturers are producing cars with draft boxes that accept the ENC87KB coupler as a drop in with no modifications needed?

I am looking to order draft boxes but dont want to unnecessarily replace the existing draft boxes.

I ordered and received a bulk pack of the type E narrow shank coupler so ready to start putting them together.  My first foray into SE couplers in 10 years and we have all of these new models now that were not around then.

thanks

Michael Osweiler
Waseca, MN

Todd Sullivan

Michael,

I believe that any HO draft gearbox that accepts Kadee No. 158 couplers should work for the Sergent ENC87KB couplers.  They are designed for narrow draft gearboxes, as mfd by Accurail and Smokey Mountain Model Works, and similar installations as found in some resin kits today.

Others may be able to add more information.

Todd Sullivan

Bryian Sones

Michael,

In most cases the ENC87K is going to be a custom installation. It's not going to just drop in. Most Manufacturer's cars are designed with the intention's of supporting the Kadee style coupler, size hole and shank because it is the most common style coupler used. There are very few models mass produced that have a prototype size draft gear box or a shaft that support a Narrow Sergent coupler.

For Example the Kadee prototype draft gear box has a triangular shape shaft and is too large for the ENC87K's hole. One approach would be to remove the shaft in the factory gearbox. Use an Accumate Draft gear box by Accurail with the cover removed. Shave the sides of the box flat and shape it so it becomes the new cover for the factory Kadee box and a new shaft that fits the ENC87k. Situations like this will need such approaches and on a case by case bases. This is why this group exist to share approaches to solve installation problems like this.  As you know the narrow Sergent has a shank that is much thicker than a Kadee. The thick shank can effect coupler height in a positive or negative way depending on the car. This is another issue that may need to be reconciled before you can put your car to the rails.

Accurail's draft gearbox supports the ENC87K. The "Accumate" draft gear box. There is also a Smokey Mountain Model Works Draft gear boxes that is based off the Accumate You can modify your car's draft gear boxes and use those Draft boxes as needed. There is info on the Sergent site that gives tips on how to approach some situations using the Accumate boxes like mentioned above. They will work for the Smokey Mountain boxes too

If you want a more drop in Sergent coupler then I would suggest you use the EC87K .The hole is closer to the size of a Kadee style coupler but it usually needs to be widened with a reamer to function properly or to fit.
I would add some of these to your arsenal of couplers for car you may not want to fiddle with as much or modify.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA