Topics

Coupler finish/color

RJ Dial

Yikes, after finally going through the last of my 2 packs of 96 couplers (EN87 & EC87) , I got a new order today, and instead of the nice smooth realistic brown finish, they are rough and a grayish black. Guess I've been living under a rock. I don't want to try and paint these as that would be the fastest way to foul up their smooth flawless operation I've come to enjoy.  Anyone found a "Blacken It" (Brown It?) type of solution to throw these into?

I tried the sucky Yahoo search of conversations but could only find out why the change (Hexavalent Chromium), but no evident solution.  Really, if this was the finish 15 years ago when I made the switch, I probably wouldn't have went the Sergent route.

Thx,

RJ Dial

Burlingame, CA

Mike Conder

Actually, painting them is the normal way to finish these.  I think the info is on the web site but it is also on an article in the HOn3 Annual a few years back.  I know that because I helped write the article!  But sadly I don't have it at hand and can't remember the exact paint, though I think it may have been Krylon primer.

Mike Conder

RJ Dial

Thanks to everyone who replied. Been digesting it all. In addition, the crafty wife had the idea of a brown Sharpie Permanent Marker (fine tip) after assembly. I tried a black one I had and it permanently colored the pewter material, so a possibility there. I have one on order.  Another idea she had was if the base material contains tin, she has a dark copper patina solution from her stain glass supplies she was going to try and find. Will report back on the results in addition to few mentioned in the replies.

As a side note, it appears that only the EC87s had the rough surface, the ENs I got are like the  older material but pewter color.

For giggles and grins, I've attached an image of the color progression through the years. On the left is the original high quality, high detail, but supposedly deadly material.  Next is what I consider the perfect balance of brown matte finish and surface from the early 2000's. 3rd from the left is the pewter finish. You can see that the mold detail sharpness is disappearing. On the right is the coarse black finish that freaked me out.
RJ Dial
Bulrlingame, CA