Topics

Coupler boxes ... more info

Jim King <jimking3@...>

Re: John Degnan’s post a couple days ago about coupler boxes, I’m the one behind this project, in conjunction with John.  I won’t get into details because testing isn’t finished and the CAD files not started.  I do have 2 working prototypes of the new box.  All I’m willing to say now is that it’s a “drop in” replacement for the out-of-stock Accurail box but with added details and a special feature that will make a LOT of users “happy”.  Give me until after Thanksgiving to finalize the design, work up pricing and upload a CAD image to my web site.  When it’s ready to launch, I’ll post here again with all the info you’ll need to place an order.

Jim King

(828) 777-5619

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

Mark Lewis

Jim:

Knowing your reputation for detail, I am really looking forward to the availability of these couplers draft gear boxes.

Mark Lewis
Stony Point, NC

Mike Maloney

Jim, are we to assume that these will be Ho/HOn3 Boxes?

Mike

Jim King <jimking3@...>

Thank you, Mark.

Jim King

(828) 777-5619

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

Jim King <jimking3@...>

Yes, HO box(es).  Narrow box first … not sure what the market is for the “wide” (compatible shank) box.  Can y’all help me with this?  I “assume” that folks who go the HO Sergent coupler route are mostly interested in the narrow box to keep the “prototypically correct” theme going.

Certainly, there is a market for the wide box or Frank wouldn’t have tooled it.  I have no problem producing both; I’d just like to know the percentage of Sergent buyers who would use such an oversize box.  Is this something that On30 guys use because of the wider swing?

Jim King

(828) 777-5619

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

Mike Conder

I'm pretty interested in a box for the Sharon couplers on HOn3, not sure if that's what you'll be making?

Mike Conder