Topics

Corroded couplers

Mike Van Hove

Hello, all,

Some of you (Frank in particular) will remember last year when I had all the trouble with the Sergent Couplers becoming corroded.

Frank helped me out, considerably, and I rebuild all 200 couplers.

At the time, I was still doing woodwork in the same building as the train layout.

The production job I was doing called for using Red or White Oak “Not Kiln Dried”.

So the wood was brought into the shop, stacked until I was ready to work it up. There was a lot of moisture in that wood, and apparently, it has quite a bit of acid that occurs naturally.

A friend of Franks thought it might be the cause of the trouble.

The acid may have been the cause of all my trouble, as now that I have finally retired, and stopped doing that job, I’m not having the problem.

Frank had me label a few of the reworked couplers and set them aside, as a control. They have been there for at least a year. In working on the layout today, I came across those labeled couplers. They work as slick as anything. No sign of corrosion.

So, I think we can say the Oak was the cause of my problem.

So, thanks to all who weighed in my problem and especially Frank, who went way beyond the call of duty, in working with me. I’m so glad I was the cause of the problem, and not Frank’s wonderful products.

Long live the Sergent Coupler!

Mike Van Hove