Topics

Building and installing Sergent couplers

Christopher Zurek

Hello all,

I've been using Sergent Couplers for about two years now. I also highly recommend the assembly jigs. I have both the Type E Compatible Shank jig and the Type E Narrow Shank jig and they are attached to my workbench with double side foam tape. I can crank out couplers quickly.

I haven't bought the reamer, but I am considering it when I place another order for couplers.

Chris Z.

---In sergenteng@..., <jniemeyer@...> wrote:

Mike

Please do share, as that's what this group is about.

I model HOn3 & HOn30. I have yet to install any HOn30, but have installed
almost 200 pair in HOn3. EN87 (type E), RNB87 (short shank Sharron intended
for Blackstone) & RN87 (longer shank Sharron) I got my first ones a week ago
and still discovering new applications.

John

Hello, group,
I am in the final stages of installing Sergent EC87 and EN87 couplers on 198
HO passenger and freight cars, as well as 15 HO Steam Locos and one HO
Diesel. ( I need one KATO NW2 so I have something that will always run, for
when I get a steamer stuck in a tunnel or in hidden track.)
I really don't much care for Diesels, but I must admit, that Kato NW2 is a
darn smooth and dependable runner. Ir was pretty easy to apply Sergent
Couplers to it, as well.

If you are new to the Sergent Couplers, as I was, about 1 month ago, I
highly recommend purchasing the Assembly Jigs and the Reamer. That reamer
has saved my bacon on several installs. It cuts the inside of the coupler
very smoothly, and quickly, so just give it a couple of twists, then check
to see how it fits.

I have found that a very small jewelers screwdriver that has become slightly
magnetized is very handy for installing the springs. Of course, the springs
want to keep stuck to the screwdriver, when you remove it, so just use a
sharp lead pencil to hold the spring in place, while you remove the
magnetized screwdriver. Really works quite well.

I have developed several other techniques for assembly. I will be happy
share them as the need arises.

Mike Van Hove
Columbia, MO