Topics

Assembled Sergent Couplers available

David Colvin

I did a test project of about 200 Sergent couplers or so.  I enjoyed the look and handling of the couplers, but my regular operators were not as enthused due to age, not wanting to change, etc.

I will be taking them off the cars soon and looking for a happy home for them.  They are lower shelf and double shelf couplers (a few).  Weathered, etc.  I applaud the group's effort to continue the work and think they have a very fine place in the hobby.

David C

Kevin Packard

David - I'm sure you'll have no problem offloading these.  The double shelf in particular....lots of individual need those

Out of curiosity, are any of the lower shelf of the long-shank variety?

-Kevin

Keith Getter

David,

Please contact me off list if you would.

Thank you,
Keith

On Jan 14, 2020, at 13:51, David Colvin <djc148@...> wrote:

I did a test project of about 200 Sergent couplers or so.  I enjoyed the look and handling of the couplers, but my regular operators were not as enthused due to age, not wanting to change, etc.

I will be taking them off the cars soon and looking for a happy home for them.  They are lower shelf and double shelf couplers (a few).  Weathered, etc.  I applaud the group's effort to continue the work and think they have a very fine place in the hobby.

David C

Paul Dallard

How much for the lot?

An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind. - Buddha

On Jan 14, 2020, at 13:51, David Colvin <djc148@...> wrote:

I did a test project of about 200 Sergent couplers or so.  I enjoyed the look and handling of the couplers, but my regular operators were not as enthused due to age, not wanting to change, etc.

I will be taking them off the cars soon and looking for a happy home for them.  They are lower shelf and double shelf couplers (a few).  Weathered, etc.  I applaud the group's effort to continue the work and think they have a very fine place in the hobby.

David C

Cliff

Interested in a few sets of double shelf couplers myself.

Dale Kritzky

You should keep your Sergents and not worry about the people in your group, I have 1 guy  in my group That thinks Sergents are "evil" so he just doesn't come to my house, none of my people are ever going to change over to Sergents ,but most of the nay sayers actually enjoy using them. It's just a learning curve for operations and all operations are different, don't let someone else dictate how your rr should be. Dale

On January 14, 2020, at 1:51 PM, David Colvin <djc148@...> wrote:

I did a test project of about 200 Sergent couplers or so.  I enjoyed the look and handling of the couplers, but my regular operators were not as enthused due to age, not wanting to change, etc.

I will be taking them off the cars soon and looking for a happy home for them.  They are lower shelf and double shelf couplers (a few).  Weathered, etc.  I applaud the group's effort to continue the work and think they have a very fine place in the hobby.

David C

David Colvin

Right now, I'm going to see about getting some out and take pics first.
I did lightly file each bearing depression and apply graphite pencil lead to the bearing depression and coupler parts during assembly to ensure excellent/reliable working condition.  I've got a young fellow who has agreed to pull them out so as we get that process started, I'll be able to give an accurate number for interested parties.  I know I have regular and lower shelf couplers.  Bought several 6 packs and two bags to 144 lot.

Again, I really like the action/look.  However, having over 30 years of weekly operating sessions under our belts, there are some operating styles and schemes that simply may not be appropriate for these.  Thankfully, we have choices to fit multiple needs.  This decision was not made lightly or at the spur of the moment.

David Colvin

Okay.
First set of couplers freed up.  Sorry for the delay.  Sean will be posting pics tonight.  You can go directly through him as I'm letting him handle it from here on out.  Looks like there are many assembled ones, plus already weathered and prepped supplies for assembly of another big batch of couplers.

So if you have asked directly before, you'll need to ask Sean once he posts tonight.

David C