Topics

[SergentEng] Assembly step 1, knuckle flash

Jeff Young

X-acto knife (or even better a scalpel) and one of those magnifying fluorescent ring lights.  (Well, I don’t know about “easiest”, but that’s how I do them anyway.  In my experience you won’t find any flash on about 80% of them, but you still need to do the step for the 1 in 5 that does have some.)

Cheers,
Jeff.

On 5 May 2016, at 13:36, Andrew Porter ihtsbih_2014@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

What is the easiest way to perform step 1 on the knuckle?

Andrew

Andrew

Jeff and all,

I should have been more specific with my original question.   How do you hold the knuckle while scraping the flash off of it?

Andrew

On May 6, 2016, at 7:10 AM, "Jeff Young jeff@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

X-acto knife (or even better a scalpel) and one of those magnifying fluorescent ring lights.  (Well, I don’t know about “easiest”, but that’s how I do them anyway.  In my experience you won’t find any flash on about 80% of them, but you still need to do the step for the 1 in 5 that does have some.)

Cheers,
Jeff.

On 5 May 2016, at 13:36, Andrew Porter ihtsbih_2014@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

What is the easiest way to perform step 1 on the knuckle?

Andrew

Darren Boes

I always hook the pulling face under the fingernail on my left index finger, so I can wield the xacto knife in my right hand with the correct portion of the knuckle facing up. I'm righthanded though, not sure how a southpaw would do it.

Darren Boes

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 1:27 AM, Andrew Porter ihtsbih_2014@... [SergentEng]
wrote:

Jeff and all,

I should have been more specific with my original question.   How do you hold the knuckle while scraping the flash off of it?

Andrew

On May 6, 2016, at 7:10 AM, "Jeff Young jeff@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

X-acto knife (or even better a scalpel) and one of those magnifying fluorescent ring lights.  (Well, I don’t know about “easiest”, but that’s how I do them anyway.  In my experience you won’t find any flash on about 80% of them, but you still need to do the step for the 1 in 5 that does have some.)

Cheers,
Jeff.

On 5 May 2016, at 13:36, Andrew Porter ihtsbih_2014@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

What is the easiest way to perform step 1 on the knuckle?

Andrew

Tim L

I too normally just hold it between thumb and forefinger. It is a bit
awkward until you get used to it but it isn't too bad.

Something I'm going to try is drilling a shallow hole the "diameter"
and depth-to-tang of the knuckle in a piece of wood or something, then
I can just place the knuckle in the hole (the tang resting on the piece
of wood) and then I can just use light finger pressure to hold it there
to clean up the tang.

Tim

<mailto:jeff@...> [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...

<mailto:ihtsbih_2014@...> [SergentEng]
<SergentEng@... <mailto:SergentEng@...>> wrote:

What is the easiest way to perform step 1 on the knuckle?

Andrew

Andrew

Tim,

That sounds like a good idea,  I might try that.  I cut one of my fingers the other day while doing this.  Also do both sides need to be burnished or just one?

Andrew

wrote:

> Jeff and all,
>
> I should have been more specific with my original question. How do you
> hold the knuckle while scraping the flash off of it?
>
> Andrew
>
> On May 6, 2016, at 7:10 AM, "Jeff Young jeff@...
> <mailto:jeff@...> [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...
> <mailto:SergentEng@...>> wrote:
>

>> X-acto knife (or even better a scalpel) and one of those magnifying
>> fluorescent ring lights. (Well, I don’t know about “easiest”, but
>> that’s how I do them anyway. In my experience you won’t find any
>> flash on about 80% of them, but you still need to do the step for the
>> 1 in 5 that does have some.)
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Jeff.
>>
>>> On 5 May 2016, at 13:36, Andrew Porter ihtsbih_2014@...
>>> <mailto:ihtsbih_2014@...> [SergentEng]
>>> <SergentEng@... <mailto:SergentEng@...>> wrote:
>>>
>>> What is the easiest way to perform step 1 on the knuckle?
>>>
>>> Andrew

Tim L

You should only have to do one side, the side with the little depression
where the ejector pin pushed the knuckle out of the mold.

I will note that I don't (currently) use a knife for this but I use a
small fine needle file. No cut fingers!

I've not really had any flash in this area, mostly what I find when I
do find something is that the very pointy end of the tang has some extra
material that prevents the knuckle from fully opening (or closing, I
forget which), and this is fairly rare as well.

I was thinking further to my idea and instead of trying to drill a
shallow hole I'll find something, like sheet styrene whose thickness
matches the depth-to-tang measurement, drill a hold all the way through
and then screw or glue that to a piece of wood or something.

Tim