Topics

[SergentEng] Recommendations and Advice for Someone New to Sergent Couplers

Nathan Rich
 

I've put many EC87's into Athearn cars.

Get a nice 1" flat mill file and give your assembled couplers a few swipes top and bottom of the shank. I find that they will operate a bit more smoothly.

You might consider EN87, then they go into the supplied Accurail box. I've had more than one coupler drop out on the mainline when the metal cover pops off.

Take Care,
Nathan Rich


On Tuesday, December 8, 2015, Alan Hummel ahummel72@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:
 

Rick,

That's a remarkable skill your son has. Builders in O Scale are especially badly needed & the money is great in that scale although it's a fantastic skill in any scale.

Glad to help with the couplers. These are indeed fine couplers. I started with Kadee but as soon as the shelf couplers came along I moved to all Sergent.

Good luck & if I can be of any help,drop me a line.

Al Hummel



On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 7:59 PM, "Richard Payne rpayne101@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:


 
Mr. Hummel,

Thanks for your reply.  My son is 15.  I understand why you asked and no offense is taken.  He amazes me sometimes since he prefers to scratch build then build kits. He started making buildings out of paper, kind of mock setup, and then moved to plastic and wood.  He is teaching himself the 'art' of modeling.  I only help when he asks for help.  Kind of the way I learn how over the years.  He currently building a diorama of SFO back in the 40's at a scale of 1:400.  While it's not a scale I would start with, its turning out looking good.  It is his first real attempt at scratch building to boot.  With model railroading I am helping him with scenery and weathering.

We both belong to a local model railroad club so our rolling stock and motive power cover late 40's to late 60's.  Home layout will cover the 60's to present.  From what you say, I can pick up a mixture of couplers and install them per year and car type.  Thanks again for the info.

Best Regards,
Rick



On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 4:07 PM, "Alan Hummel ahummel72@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:


 
How old is your son? I ask because of the level of care needed for proper assembly for good working & that wasn't meant in a derogatory manner,just the opposite.

The type coupler you choose,depends to a high degree on the era you're modeling in. Before 1975,the common E coupler would be my coupler of choice.

In 1975,the Government mandated that all tank cars carrying hazardous materials,install the double shelf couplers to keep an adjoining common E coupler from sliding up & out of the coupler on the tank car&puncturing the tank. In years since that date,the railroads have changed much of their engines & rolling stock over to double shelf couplers for tankers and lower shelf couplers for non hazardous cargos.

Again,depending on your era of modeling interest,will depend on your couplers of choice. You can have E couplers,SE,(double shelf E couplers),SBE,(E lower shelf couplers),SF,(double shelf F couplers),F couplers&H couplers all intermingled,again depending on era of modeling. The H couplers are designed primarily for passenger trains.

Hope this helps.
Al Hummel




Nathan Rich
 

Yes, you are correct. I have equipped about 75 Athearn cars with Sergent couplers, and with the excepting of one caboose they all had those metal clips. I am well aware of the difference.

I was suggesting replacing the stock box with EN87 and the Sergent supplied Accurail box, which will reduce the loss of the metal plate. I have had that happen about five times while running trains. They also pop off easily when they are in my transport box. I personally feel that the A-Line screw system, while clever and good enough for a Kadee coupler, is unnecessary because we have the EN87. I'd rather spend the 23.95 and whatever else to get a minimum $35 order from A-Line on EN87's and a scale size coupler box that will look better on the end of the car.


On Tuesday, December 8, 2015, Andy Jackson <lajrmdlr@...> wrote:
Nathan
The old Athearn cars have the metal coupler covers not Accurail. Aline does make an assembly to put a screw to hold the metal cover on now.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA


Christopher Zurek
 

Back when I still used Kadee couplers I had a real issues with the metal covers falling off. I wound up drilling out the center posts and putting in small screws.

With Sergent couplers I use the EN87.

Chris Z.

On 12/8/2015 10:47 PM, Nathan Rich thaddeusthudpucker@... [SergentEng] wrote:
 

I've put many EC87's into Athearn cars.


Get a nice 1" flat mill file and give your assembled couplers a few swipes top and bottom of the shank. I find that they will operate a bit more smoothly.

You might consider EN87, then they go into the supplied Accurail box. I've had more than one coupler drop out on the mainline when the metal cover pops off.

Take Care,
Nathan Rich


Alan Hummel
 

Am I correct that the Narrow shank couplers were mostly assembled & the reason they're no longer listed is because assembled couplers are a thing of the past?

I was only going to use them on my Intermountain tankers of the corn syrup type tank which years back wouldn't accept any coupler except the narrow shank as those cars used the Accurail draft gear boxes.
Thank you,
Al Hummel 

Nathan Rich
 

I believe one can still get a bulk pack of EN87's with boxes as item code EN87KB.

Nathan Rich

On Friday, December 11, 2015, Alan Hummel ahummel72@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:
 

Am I correct that the Narrow shank couplers were mostly assembled & the reason they're no longer listed is because assembled couplers are a thing of the past?

I was only going to use them on my Intermountain tankers of the corn syrup type tank which years back wouldn't accept any coupler except the narrow shank as those cars used the Accurail draft gear boxes.
Thank you,
Al Hummel