Topics

[SergentEng] What's going on in the Group?

Alden G. McBee

It’s odd, but modelers are so used to looking at Kadees that most aren’t bothered by the appearance.  One of the guys in my modeling  group commented when I first showed him the Sergents, “I realize those are exact scale, but I’m so used to seeing Kadees that the Sergents look odd.”  Of the 15 or so in my modeling group, I’m the only one that uses
Sergents.  They are beautiful and work great.  I for one could never go back to Kadees.  Sergents are to Kadees as Kadees are to horn-hook couplers.
—Alden McBee, Wheeling, WV

On Oct 13, 2015, at 1:03 PM, Shawn Hogan shawn.hogan41@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

You might add to that: when more than one or niche manufacturers decide to supply their RTR or kit models with Sergents. Or at least offer them as an option when ordering.
But I think the biggest hindrance is the lack of exposure in hobby shops and publicly displayed layouts.
Shawn Hogan

On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 11:19 AM, "Drew McCann hiroechan@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Nathan Rich wrote:

How many years before Sergent's become the de facto standard that Kadee should no longer be?

Until such time as Sergent can 1) keep up with the supply demands of such a market, 2) get local hobby shops to stock their products, and 3) price them competitively with Kadees, it's not going to happen. The K5 coupler is as ubiquitous as it is because they meet the first two criteria.  How many sales opportunities are lost, simply because of lack of product placement? I never see them in shops, or at hobby shows. Can't buy what isn't there.

I love the Sergent line; but I recognize that it's a niche product, and unlikely to become anything more than that as long as these barriers continue to exist.

--Drew

Christopher Zurek

I placed my first order for Sergent couplers about four years ago.

Sometimes even now I think they look strange...not the coupler by itself, but a scale coupler in the ridiculously over side pocket on most HO scale models. On some models (like the Walthers Thrall gondola) I replaced everything with the Sergent couplers in the scale with pockets.

Chris Z.

On 10/13/2015 6:19 PM, 'Alden G. McBee' agm@... [SergentEng] wrote:

It’s odd, but modelers are so used to looking at Kadees that most aren’t bothered by the appearance.  One of the guys in my modeling  group commented when I first showed him the Sergents, “I realize those are exact scale, but I’m so used to seeing Kadees that the Sergents look odd.”  Of the 15 or so in my modeling group, I’m the only one that uses

Sergents.  They are beautiful and work great.  I for one could never go back to Kadees.  Sergents are to Kadees as Kadees are to horn-hook couplers.
—Alden McBee, Wheeling, WV

Alan Hummel

To All,
I think it all comes down to "trade offs."
Sergent's are Prototypical,especially when it comes to the shelf couplers whether it be the E coupler,F or H couplers. Then you do have to line up the Sergent's more.
No disrespect to Kadee,but I'm an all Sergent customer. I know people that work for Kadee, that use Sergent's in certain locations such as on their loco's.
Frank Sergent made the comment that he never wanted to be as large as Kadee,he wanted instead to keep his company smaller in magnitude and family owned.

Thanks again Frank,for listening to your customer's wants and for making sure they became available.

Al Hummel