Corrosion on couplers

Dave Snyder

Mark, I wasn't suggesting that you spray paint the operational surfaces of the couplers. I was going by Frank Sergents recommendations for
rattlecan spraying the couplers, check his website. Per the Rust-Oleum website, what started as a fish/whale oil additive to paint to the modern
conglomerate is an amazing journey that doesn't readily disclose the chemical complexities of their products, trade secrets I suppose. Maybe you would share your results with us as you progress, I'm always open to enlightenment.

Dave Snyder
Louisville, Ky.  Derby day is imminent. 


Hi Dave.

Thanks for your reply.  

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.....but it is my current understanding is that ruskolium is a product that uniquely has some sort of propitiates that make it much better than just using a generic automotive undercoat for these couplers.  It somehow acts as a anode and is not just a covering for the metal.

Secondly it is again my understanding that when you paint the couplers the instructions require not painting the operational surfaces so as not to interfere with the fine tolerances involved.

What I had envisaged was first painting as specified in the instructions then brushing a tiny amount of No-Ox on those working surfaces.  Ensuring I get off as much of the No-Ox  off the coupler before final assembly.  

Using No-Ox "may" protect the unpainted portions of the coupler.


Ps that ebay No-Ox seems cheap, thanks for the heads up.

Dave Snyder

Mark, I would think that any spray can automotive primer paint would coat the Sergents and inhibit any further oxidation. And even Rust-Oleum doesnt remove the oxidation, it just binds to it. The NoOx is a grease like substance that I have tried with mixed results on rail and wheel wipers, etc.
It really did not remove oxidation well and polishing the rail before application gave the longest lasting results. I doubt paint would adhere to it
well because of its petroleum properties.

Dave Snyder
Louisville, Ky.

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

Expansive stuff$

Found a good price here


Michael Graff

This must be a humidity issue...
I have unassembled couplers in an open box at my desk, and they show no sign of corrosion.
The white powder mentioned before is probably a zinc residue and as such it is very moisture sensitive.


Don't you just love the way some computers "improve" what one has written.

The product is Sanchem no-ox 

Sorry for my computer's interference in what I intended to write.

Have a good day guys.


I know I'm responding quite a bit after the discussion has more or less ended.......but has anyone thought to try using Sanchez no-oxygen product.

It evidently works by not allowing oxcedisation to occur.  People swear by the product to stop oxcedisation of track thereby improving electrical contact.  So just maybe it might protect couples from "rust" build up in lightly used couplers.

Then again it "may" cause couplers to not work at all.

I figure it has got to be worth a try.  Given that we can't get rust oleum in the right colour here in OZ I think we have to find a solution for this problem.

Mark Stafford

Alan Hummel

Mike Van Hove,

Mike,I'm no sure of anything right now cause I just got up,but I don't scrape any paint off that I know of in the break in process,just use lead pencil over the inside of knuckle & inside coupling area-maybe that is scraping off paint un be known  to me.(?) So far have noticed few problems. I know frustration,sometimes you just got to walk away from it all,at least I do until I can simmer down & collect what few brains I have left.

Hope this helps.

Al Hummel

Mike Van Hove

Well, I have been working on my fleet of screwed up couplers.

I have observed that the corrosion seems to occur where there is no paint. I used very thin Craft Paint Acrylics.

Some of the couplers have no paint of any kind. (I was getting to the end of the coupler making and thought to paint them later).

The unpainted couplers have a gray coating over the entire coupler, and they are bound up.

The painted ones had a white powder on the areas where I had rubbed the paint off while doing the "Breaking in" process.

This says to me, the couplers MUST be painted.

I went to Menards and bought a 1/2 pint can of Rustoleum "Rusty Metal Primer".

Somewhere here in all this bunch of emails, I saw it said to use Acetone for thinner, but the instuctions on the can said use Mineral Sprits.

The Acetone is for disolving the ACC for dis-assembly purposes.

I'm going to dis-assemble the affected couplers, go thru the entire process and re-assemble with a dab of Neolube inside, and a light coat of Rustoleum on the outside.

If this doesn't work, I'm going back to working on the Wooden Ship Model, the "Blue Nose" that I started several years ago.

Hope this works,
Thanks to all for your help.

Mike Van Hove
(the other Mike)