Operations

bolsen187@...

Simplistically put I meant dropping cars from a train and picking up cars to be taken somewhere. I will have loaded ore cars going from a mine to a mill and loaded mill cars going to a smelter. Of course the appropriate empties will be handled in reverse. I will also be sending oil from wells to refinery and returning empty oil cars to be reloaded. I have timber from a logging area going to a sawmill and cut lumber and firewood going to the mine and other places. I have a projected limestone mine and a coke operation. I have one major yard finished and 2 smaller yards planned and the main mine spur will have 6 mines along the way and the grade will require me to drop the empties from the main so that a Heisler can shove them up the grade and then back down the full ones  I'm basically a lone wolf and trains in a circle won't cut it for me. And as long as I'm on a roll let me say I really didn't plan to start a war and I really hope the wounds are all superficial. I believe that some of the opposing views come from people who operate in the same group.  I think we all learned a lot about couplers and operations and tolerance or lack of tolerance. Merry Christmas to all. Blayne

Mike Van Hove

One thing I forgot to mention, I really like the lack of slack. When I have an engine that is jerky, for one reason or another, the entire train would bounce back and forth,with Kadees, but with the Sergent Couplers, there is almost no slack to run in and out. I like that!

Mike Van Hove

Mike Conder

I agree on the lack of slack, it really bothers me with Kadees that "accordion" down the track.  It can be disconcerting to see great models running through beautiful scenery, but just bouncing along.  It ruins the illusion at times.

And I am glad to see others with a strong mining theme to their layout.

Mike Conder

bolsen187@...

Mike Van Hove
Contact me off list please. Blayne