Topics

[SergentEng] Re: Kato coupler conversions

Christopher Zurek

I decided to go the route of the DW buffer and a scale width coupler.

I have a couple of Kato GP35's, one in Rio Grande and one in SP, that I'm working on.  The Rio Grande on is 19 years old and I thing the SP one is pushing 22 years. They both still run great.
Besides the scale buffer and Sergent couplers they are also getting nose lights, sound and LED lighting.

I will say that reworking the pilots with scale buffers and using Sergent couplers really helps the look of these models. When they get done I will put up pictures.

Chris Z.

On 5/30/2014 2:22 PM, James Wall nsc39dash8@... [SergentEng] wrote:

Now to clean up the Kato draft gear I would use the new Detail West scale coupler buffer. The I would try the narrow shank in the scale box which will need some work to fit a loco, have not tried this yet either, just an idea. I made a suggest for the tailor made to fit these new DA coupler buffers and the Atlas locomotive scale coupler pocket. I hope Frank will work on this in the future. I have used the EC87 as shown in the guide section for the Atlas.

James Wall

Christopher Zurek

I used the DW scale couplers buffers and the narrow shank couplers without the supplied boxes. I used a 2-56 screw in the original home in the Kato mounting pad. It works OK but the coupler doesn't stick out far enough, it's basically against the buffer.

Next I ground down the sides of the shank around the mounting hole on a compatible shank coupler. It can be ground down enough so it fits through scale buffer, but using the original Kato hole the coupler sticks out too far.

I took some measurements with my digital calipers and I think the new shortened compatible shank coupler will work. I don't have any on hand, so it's time to place another order with Sergent.

Here's how it looks so far. This picture was taken with my cell phone so it isn't the best. When I get this project finished I'll take pix with my DSLR.

Chris Z.

On 6/1/2014 12:19 AM, 'Christopher A. Zurek' zurekc@q.com [SergentEng] wrote:

I decided to go the route of the DW buffer and a scale width coupler.

I have a couple of Kato GP35's, one in Rio Grande and one in SP, that I'm working on.  The Rio Grande on is 19 years old and I think the SP one is pushing 22 years. They both still run great.