Topics

Kato coupler conversions

Alan Hummel

 Hi,my name is Alan.

I have 2 SD40&2 Kato GP35 diesels. The number on the SD 40 boxes is respectively:37-O1R&37-01Q. The GPs,I don't have in front of me,but the actual engine numbers on those diesels are 4416&4420. All 4 diesels are in CSX YN2 lettering/paint schemes.

I noticed all 4 diesels have "Horn hook" couplers on them&there's a round plastic "peg" that holds the coulers in place. Their SD40-2 brothers have Kato couplers&a coupler box on.Am wondering what type coupler box needs to be installed here? Narrow shank possibly?

Second question is how do I get to the couplers? Does the whole upper frame have to come off? Oddly enough,I haven't actually been able to find any mounting screws if in fact there are any.(?)

Should I use long shank coupers on  SD&GP diesels? I plan to have 28/26 radius curves on the Mainlines,so except in turnouts,there won't be any sharp curves.(?)

If anyone's interested in these diesels,these are all new in the boxes&since I have an extensive line of diesels,I could be persuaded to part with them,I think.

Thank you.

Alan

Morgan

freedom not much help on the SD 40 s but the SD 90 s just dropped inif yours are set up the same way as the 90's are you just need to undo the screw holding a couple box under the engine pulled them out through the front and then there should be a little plastic tabs underneath the body that you want to slowly and carefully work free and everything should separate if you happen to notice its acting like its stuck on something then you can go digging for the screw but usually they're just stubborn and no you really shouldn't half a body part

James Wall

I have put EC87's in my Kato units( SD40, 40-2, 45) with no problems. The early version of the SD40 did only have the horn hook with the plastic push pin, same as Kato did on early Atlas chassis. The Kadee box will work. You need to drill and tap the hole for the push pin for a 2/56 screw.

Now to clean up the Kato draft gear I would use the new Detail Associates scale coupler buffer. The I would try the narrow shank in the scale box which will need some work to fit a loco, have not tried this yet either, just an idea. I made a suggest for the tailor made to fit these new DA coupler buffers and the Atlas locomotive scale coupler pocket. I hope Frank will work on this in the future. I have used the EC87 as shown in the guide section for the Atlas.

James Wall

David R. Olsen <drolsen@...>

James - I think you meant to refer to the Details West scale coupler buffer, as opposed to DA.

Dave Olsen
Alexandria, VA

On May 30, 2014, at 15:22, "James Wall nsc39dash8@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:
I have put EC87's in my Kato units( SD40, 40-2, 45) with no problems. The early version of the SD40 did only have the horn hook with the plastic push pin, same as Kato did on early Atlas chassis. The Kadee box will work. You need to drill and tap the hole for the push pin for a 2/56 screw.
Now to clean up the Kato draft gear I would use the new Detail Associates scale coupler buffer. The I would try the narrow shank in the scale box which will need some work to fit a loco, have not tried this yet either, just an idea. I made a suggest for the tailor made to fit these new DA coupler buffers and the Atlas locomotive scale coupler pocket. I hope Frank will work on this in the future. I have used the EC87 as shown in the guide section for the Atlas.

James Wall

James Wall

Dave,

You are correct on that point.  Thank You for correcting me there.

James Wall