Topics

S Scale answers

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

You could do dat and include a nice plastic sleeve to reduce the hole size.

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and Hn42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest
@dapenguin

Frank had thrown out an S scale Sharon coupler as a possibility earlier in his development schedule, and I was a little dissapointed that it did not come to fruition. Let us hope his S scale Type E coupler sales encourage him to offer a second design. As they are investment cast, tooling costs are not quite the issue they are for die cast. A Kadee HO compatible post would not be my personal first choice for S scale standard gauge equipment, but if that is what it took for Frank to generate the sales he needs...

Earl Tuson

Earl Tuson

Dave Heine writes,

I guess if you made an S scale Sharon coupler that fit in a Kadee HO box,
that would be better for an O scale � size coupler and would also work for
Sn3 for those narrow gauge roads that used the full size couplers, like the
D&RGW and RGS.
Frank had thrown out an S scale Sharon coupler as a possibility earlier in his development schedule, and I was a little
dissapointed that it did not come to fruition. Let us hope his S scale Type E coupler sales encourage him to offer a
second design. As they are investment cast, tooling costs are not quite the issue they are for die cast. A Kadee HO
compatible post would not be my personal first choice for S scale standard gauge equipment, but if that is what it took
for Frank to generate the sales he needs...

Earl Tuson

Frank Sergent

Hi List,

There have been a few questions regarding the not-yet-released S scale coupler over the last few days. I'll try to answer those as best I can here.

1. When will it be available? Probably late January. No promises though. It has to be right first.

2. Metal or Plastic? Metal. The 3D printing process provides plastic that I investment cast to turn it into metal. The metal is a zinc aluminum alloy not far from what the die cast couplers are made of.

3. Assembly Fixture? No fixture will be available. Are you kidding? These things are HUGE.

4. How many in a pack? Don't know yet. I haven't thought much about it. I haven't thought much about the price either. I'll have to sharpen my pencil there because 3D printing cost is based on volume and as some one pointed out these are 2 1/2 times bigger than the HO couplers by volume.

5. Will they work for On30? I guess. On30 typically uses KD #5 couplers or clones which means the mounting arrangement will be different for the Sergent couplers. The KD S scale coupler actually uses a mounting pin that is smaller in diameter than the HO scale #5 coupler. The Sergent coupler will use the smaller pin. The S Scale coupler will also be a type E coupler which I would guess was not too common on 30" gauge lines. It certainly wasn't common on 36" gauge lines. Still, it would be exactly 3/4 size in O scale. I guess that's a reasonable compromise. Personally, I don't like compromise, but that's just me.

Thanks,
Frank