From: trevor@... ;
To: ;
Subject: [SergentEng] RE: S scale is BIG
Sent: Mon, Dec 23, 2013 5:07:58 PM

Thanks for posting the photo, Frank.

You mentioned a while back that the S scale design wasn't working - can you elaborate on what it's not doing?

Also, I'm playing catch-up on these - can you give us a bit more info? Will they be die-cast like your EN87 couplers, or will they be white metal like the old S scale couplers, or something else? Will you offer them pre-assembled, like the EN87A?

I always had trouble building your old S scale couplers - it was not a fault of the coupler, but rather my skills were insufficient for work where finishes and tolerances were critical. So after trying the S scale kits I switch to your EN87A couplers on my Maine two-foot (On2) layout and loved them.

I'm now working in S scale standard gauge, and would love to give the new couplers a try - once they're ready for market, of course.

Cheers!

- Trevor

Trevor Marshall

Port Rowan in S

I model a steam-era Canadian National branch line terminal in S scale, and blog about it here:

http://themodelrailwayshow.com/cn1950s

Carey Probst

Me, no layout yet so not a big deal.  Still building cars.

Carey

Carey Probst

Member, M.I.T. Educational Council

S Scale, Sn3 and S High Rail/AF

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,

the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

On 12/23/2013 1:03 PM, Mike Conder wrote:

Do how many people on this list are waiting for the S scale couplers?

Mike Conder

[...]

David Heine <davesn3@...>

I’m another one on the list.

Dave Heine

[...]

jerry via FMW.com

Mike,

My son and I are in need of the couplers.

Jerry Kitts

On Dec 23, 2013, at 10:03 AM, Mike Conder wrote:

Do how many people on this list are waiting for the S scale couplers?

Mike Conder

Jerry Kitts
Foothill Model Works
Visit our web site at
(707) 459-5587

Frank Sergent

Hi Trevor,

I think the operational problems with the S scale coupler have been solved. I had to take about 0.002" off the perimeter of the knuckle and they seem to work ok now. There are still some manufacturing issues that mean the sprue on the knuckle is more pronouced than I would like. After the sprue location is filed smooth, the couplers seem to work fine. I don't know if I can solve this problem or not. If not, the knuckles will have to be filed as part of the assembly process. Its not hard or critical, but it takes more time than I like. I had already decided that the S scale couplers would be offered in kit form only. I don't have enough cheap labor (family members) to dedicate to assembly of these. All castings for the S scale coupler will be investment cast from 3D printed waxes. This means they will be MUCH easier to deal with than the old spin cast couplers. I don't suspect you will have any trouble building them, even if I can't get the knuckle manufacturing issue worked out.

[...]

Peter Vanvliet <groups@...>

Mike,

I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of the Sergent S-scale coupler. I had bought a couple of the old version, which I liked. I also bought a couple of the HO-scale new versions, so that I could try them out (building them; not using them on an S-scale car).

These are going to be my fleet standard. I have an immediate need of 15 pair, but I will buy more to be able provide couplers for future equipment purchases.

At first I was concerned about interoperability with Kadee couplers installed on other club members' equipment, but in reality each club member runs his own trains, so I can make my entire train use Sergent couplers and be happy.

Frank,

I would be OK with having to do some filing work on the coupler, if need be. Just my $0.02.

 - Peter.

On 12/23/2013 12:03 pm, Mike Conder wrote:
Do how many people on this list are waiting for the S scale couplers?

Mike Conder

William Uffelman

Want them for On3 so bring them on!

Bill Uffelman

Practicing for retirement in Ocean View DE

vulturenest1@...

I assume they would be a good fit for On30 too? Mike Conder

William Uffelman

If you want something beefier than an HO KD or clone these will be great especially mounted at NMRA On3 height.

Bill Uffelman

Trevor at The Model Railway Show

Hi Frank:
Thanks for the additional information - much appreciated.
Non-critical filing? That I can do.
If I recall correctly in HO, you offer an assembly fixture to make things a little easier. I assume that since the S scale couplers are larger you won't be offering such a fixture for them, because it won't be needed...
This is GREAT news. I'm looking forward to these. Thanks for supporting S scale!
- Trevor

  Trevor Marshall
  Port Rowan in 1:64 - a steam-era Canadian National branch line terminal in S scale.
  http://themodelrailwayshow.com/cn1950s