From: "Ken Anderson via groups.io" <cprrn1@...>
Date: 7/10/21 8:13 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: SergentEngineering@groups.io
Subject: [Sergent Engineering] Coupler balls

I also need a few balls. Anyone know of a source?.

Jeff Scarbrough

Some stainless steel is non-magnetic.

On Sat, Jul 10, 2021, 23:16 George Hofmann <george.hofmann@...> wrote:
Be nice if we could find stainless...
George

George Hofmann

Sorry Jeff. I had added a post mentioning the desirability of using stainless balls (if such even exists) before immediately realizing SS is likely non-magnetic. So I deleted the post but not before you saw it and replied. But it brings up the point that I think should be made. Namely we should be careful about the quality of the balls that we substitute. A little bit of corrosion will render the coupler as inoperable. I don't know anything about metallurgy but I suspect the quality of anything made in China and that is surely where the replacements are coming from.
George

Ken Anderson

It would be nice if Frank would offer a small quantity of reasonably priced balls for those of us that need more than 3 at a time…..and not rely on China.

On Jul 11, 2021, at 10:22 AM, George Hofmann <george.hofmann@...> wrote:

Sorry Jeff. I had added a post mentioning the desirability of using stainless balls (if such even exists) before immediately realizing SS is likely non-magnetic. So I deleted the post but not before you saw it and replied. But it brings up the point that I think should be made. Namely we should be careful about the quality of the balls that we substitute. A little bit of corrosion will render the coupler as inoperable. I don't know anything about metallurgy but I suspect the quality of anything made in China and that is surely where the replacements are coming from.
George

Edward Sutorik

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Precision-Chrome-Bearing-100pcs/dp/B07NVGBL9B/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=1mm+steel+balls&qid=1626031557&sr=8-10

$4.79, including shipping.

If Frank does it, he's gotta pay for them, too.  Then he's gotta pay a minion to package them.  And he's gotta pay for the little envelope.  Then his minion has to prepare it for shipping. And then there's the pro-rated cost of paying the minion to go to the post office.  Oh, yeah.  The minion gets paid to fill out the envelope.

Nope.  For knuckles, which you can't get anywhere else, it's Frank.  For these, see above.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Andy Reichert

Hear Hear,

Plus 3% fee for CC or paypal domestic, 5% if from overseas.

Andy

On 7/11/2021 12:30 PM, Edward Sutorik via groups.io wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Precision-Chrome-Bearing-100pcs/dp/B07NVGBL9B/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=1mm+steel+balls&qid=1626031557&sr=8-10 <https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Precision-Chrome-Bearing-100pcs/dp/B07NVGBL9B/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=1mm+steel+balls&qid=1626031557&sr=8-10>

$4.79, including shipping.

If Frank does it, he's gotta pay for them, too.  Then he's gotta pay a minion to package them.  And he's gotta pay for the little envelope.  Then his minion has to prepare it for shipping. And then there's the pro-rated cost of paying the minion to go to the post office.  Oh, yeah.  The minion gets paid to fill out the envelope.

Nope.  For knuckles, which you can't get anywhere else, it's Frank.  For these, see above.

Ed

Edward Sutorik
https://www.avg.com

George Hofmann

Ed:
I scrolled down on that linked page and noticed a "specifications" box. It says "watch out for rust" and "high humidity can cause rust". Not a problem if they are in a bearing submerged in grease. But that is not our situation. So I'm just saying, be careful.
George

Edward Sutorik

George,

An interesting point.  I used to live in "high humidity", but I moved to "low humidity", with only a few regrets (fireflies come to mind).

Ed

Edward Sutorik