From: ljcasey1
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 2:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Sergent Engineering] Sergent Engineering Couplers

interesting question regarding the 3d printing.    what is the problem so far with people printing in 3d?   tolerance, or material strength.    I know there are some metal filaments available with different metal types in 'suspension' with the PLA or whatever.   Has that been tried?   perhaps that has no more inherent strength than straight PLA or whatever.   I also doubt it allows any finer tolerances.   Just wondering aloud.    I have a mostly put together home 3d printer, but haven't learned any CAD yet.   I would assume that a typical home 3d printer has insufficient precision to allow the tolerances needed amongst the parts, but would love to hear what you(Mr Sergent) has to say on the issue.

thanks,
LJ Casey
Maryville, IL
who is still only a dabbler as the railroad is not running yet.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 1:21 PM, Frank Sergent <fsergent@...> wrote:
Hi All,

Let me restate what I have said before and give an update.

I did say I would eventually get out of the coupler making business. Wheels are slowing turning in that direction now. I have put all my designs in the public domain. Several folks have downloaded those designs and I know some have tried to 3D print these with varying levels of success. Printing the couplers is just the first step. No one has of yet demonstrated they can do this well, but there is interest. Casting them in metal is the real trick that requires an investment in equipment (not my equipment, its mine, mine, mine). That's probably about $10k worth of cool stuff (that can also be used to make things other than couplers) if purchased new. A dedicated workspace will also be needed (I do it in my basement) where you can vent fumes outside. There are a few skills you will need or need to develop as well such as 3D CAD, 3D Printing, urethane casting, basic metal (small lathe and mill probably necessary and included in the $10k), electrical (dedicated outlets, temperature control wiring), and plumbing (devest station) skills. Several folks believe a useful product might be created in raw 3D printed plastic. Maybe so. We'll see I guess. As I gain confidence that someone is on the right track and willing to make an investment, I will slowly discontinue 3D printed items, otherwise there will be little reason for anyone to make that initial investment in equipment. When I see success in making the 3D printed / investment cast couplers, then I'll offer to sell them the tooling for the die cast products at a price they can't refuse. Then that lucky person will get filthy rich. OK. Maybe not filthy rich, but the initial investment will easily be paid off within 12 months (probably 6)  assuming you're not paying somebody else to do the work.

Bottom line is that I don't want money for the product line. I want somebody to prove they have passion about it. Making these things is real work and takes real time. You're not going to be able to quit your day job. You will end up with a small pile of extra cash. If you think its a great deal because of the extra cash, you might find you would rather have extra time instead of extra cash.

I have promised a few folks that I will eventually add a section to my website that describes how I make the couplers in detail. I will do that.

Bottom, bottom line is that it is not my intent to let the product line die. If you would in anyway consider buying the business (which is not for sell), why not consider purchasing some equipment, dedicating some space, figuring out how to make the product, and creating your own business that sells the product? I'll help any way I can toward that effort.

Frank

From: "Alan Hummel via Groups.Io" <ahummel72@...>
Date: 7/10/18 2:38 PM (GMT-06:00)

Frank is looking to have someone buy him out,or using his drawings,make couplers like his to my understanding. He's not pulling out,but is looking to leave the coupler business but wants to see his couplers fall into a new manufacturer's hands so his coupler line continues into the future.

I admit having thoughts of how long his coupler line will remain available,myself. What's REALLY concerning me,is noone has seemingly shown much interest in the project. These couplers are a milestone to HO Scale. The next thing that's on the way are Prototypical working ground throw switchstands with targets from ALL ABOARD TRAINS. These are a ways off as the 1st 'stands are being made in O Scale 1st,but the company's owner hopes to make an HO Model in the future.

Alan Hummel

--
Loren Casey
Maryville,IL

--
Loren Casey
Maryville, IL

L. J. Casey

Frank,

Thanks for the specific reply.   I figured as much that you had to use more specialized equipment.  It makes total sense to use the resin deposit printers with UV hardening.   I just had no idea they were coming into the price range of specialized hobbyists yet(I ain't near there yet).   On the CAD front, I had emailed the fusion 360 people(I believe it is a division of the AutoCAD people) asking about hobbyist use.   They told me(a year or so ago) that hobbyist don't exactly qualify for their 'free' usage license.   I didn't push it as I used to work for a s/w development company and know a bit about licensing and people who cheat the subject.   I wish they were more clear on whether they are really ok with us testing out their software for free or not.   I know a lot of modelers who use it, but sometimes I am too scrupulous(read stupidly conforment)

I have a FabLab near me that I think has some close to professional equipment....just want to play around with my home stuff to understand some of the parameters for finer printing first.  It is still a new field for the most part, and easy to get off track unless you know more than the basics.

We will have Jack Burgess(of Yosemite Valley fame) here at the STL RPM meet in a couple weeks talking 3d and other 'new' technologies for rapid prototyping of things model rr'ish.   Looking forward to it.

LJ Casey
Maryville,IL

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 10:05 PM, Frank Sergent <fsergent@...> wrote:
I changed the subject line here because this is shop talk and a little off topic but is in response to LJ’s question and something I am still passionate about.

I don’t believe a run of the mill (FDM) 3D printer that squirts molten plastic out of a heated nozzle can work for this. The features on the couplers are very small and they have to be produced accurately. Think about the diameter of the little hinge pin that the knuckle swings on. Its diameter is 0.0130 inches. My original 3D wax printer acquired in 2009 (for about $17k and probably never actually paid for itself) had a drop size of 0.0010” meaning it could squirt a single drop of wax 0.0010” in diameter. That was good enough to form an HO scale coupler than would work. My current printer acquired in 2013 (for about $24k that paid for itself in 3 years) has a “voxel size” of 0.0016”. That works too. My newest not yet in service printer acquired just this week (for less than $1000) has a voxel size of 0.0019” which I think will be fine as well. What’s the smallest drop of plastic a typical 3D printer can squirt out? About 0.01 inches in diameter which just doesn’t cut it. Its not the right tool for the job.

I put the pay off times in there for anybody that is thinking about jumping in. Those are based on profit from items sold that were 3D printed. They don’t take into account the fact that I sell many more diecast couplers just because I can offer the specialty couplers. You can see that my new printer will pay for itself in less than 2 months at the same rate.

For this work you need a printer targeted at the jewelry and dental markets. There have been some major advances that have occurred here recently that has allowed the price of these very high resolution printers to drop like a rock. Older designs use a UV laser or projector (like the one in a conference room) to selectively solidify liquid resin one layer at time to create a 3D object. The laser hardens one pixel at a time and is slower because the laser has to “draw” each layer. The projector projects the complete image for the layer at once, so its faster. Newer designs are actually much simpler. Rip the LCD display off your fancy new phone and put a few UV LED’s behind it. Now the pattern of UV light image that gets through the LCD can be directed at some UV sensitive resin. Add a computer to control the image on the LCD and some mechanics to advance the 3D object a little after each layer hardens and you have the world’s cheapest 3D printer. Fancy phones with fancy super high resolution screens have enabled this technology leap in 3D printers. As long as what you need to print is smaller than the display on typical phone, your all set. Imagine what happens if you have a 11” 4K LCD for a tablet computer. Hmmm. Most HO locomotives and rolling stock many structures are small enough to fit in that area. Trackwork components could fit in that area too if you don’t mind plastic track (Unprototypical shiny nickel silver railheads on passing tracks and sidings irk me anyway – why is that acceptable – dead rail is coming). See where this is all going. These are exciting times in the model railroading world and things are about to get crazy.

Also regarding 3D CAD. Check out Fusion 360. Free for a year for hobbyist and small businesses. I have historically used Solidworks, but Fusion 360 is about to eat its lunch. Fusion 360 plus a new ~$500 printer and a website can make you a model railroad entrepreneur. You still need to be able to turn those plastic parts into metal to make couplers, but maybe you have other ideas.

Finally in my opinion, the plastic parts created by any of these fancy new printers I’ve described is hard and too brittle for items that will take constant abuse like a coupler.

Frank

[...]

Michael Graff

Regarding the Fusion 360 software, it is always free for hobbyists.
I've had it myself for a few years now, and I just have to renew the hobbyists license annually.

Mike Conder

This is through Autodesk?

Mike Conder

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 1:59 AM Michael Graff via Groups.Io <michael.graff=rocketmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Regarding the Fusion 360 software, it is always free for hobbyists.
I've had it myself for a few years now, and I just have to renew the hobbyists license annually.

Frank Sergent

Yes. But its not AutoCAD and not Inventor.

From: "Mike Conder" <vulturenest1@...>
Date: 7/12/18 9:48 am
To: SergentEngineering@groups.io

This is through Autodesk?

Mike Conder

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 1:59 AM Michael Graff via Groups.Io <michael.graff=rocketmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Regarding the Fusion 360 software, it is always free for hobbyists.
I've had it myself for a few years now, and I just have to renew the hobbyists license annually.

--
Loren Casey
Maryville,IL

--
Loren Casey
Maryville, IL

David Jobe, Sr.

First, many thanks to Frank for providing so much detail.  It would appear that we are on the cusp of a great leap forward in affordable capabilities.

Loren – Where is the FABLAB located?  Contact information?  And, here is the language from the fusion 360 site Frank lined to earlier:

Startup: If your entitlement has been designated as “Startup, ” You may use the service if You are (a) a company, startup, or home-based business that generates less than $100,000 (or equivalent in other currency) per year from the total sale of goods or services, or (b) an individual using the service for personal non-commercial projects, hobbies, or personal learning.

It certainly appears that you or any other hobbyist should qualify based on sub-paragraph (b).

David Jobe, Sr.

Saint Ann, Missouri

Regarding the Fusion 360 software, it is always free for hobbyists.

I've had it myself for a few years now, and I just have to renew the hobbyists license annually.

--

Loren Casey
Maryville,IL

--
Loren Casey
Maryville, IL

L. J. Casey

David,

Is in in Edwardsville, IL on the Lewis and Clark extension campus(right next to the ex NKP depot that was moved from the nearby NKP and L&M abandoned roadbeds.    Here is a link to their facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/search/str/edwardsville+fablab/keywords_search#

It costs $75/month for basic membership, but that includes access to everything(they have $1.5 million in equipment there), including the computer lab, 3d printers in both filament and resin, a laser cutter CNC milling machines, other large woodworking and metal working tools, a paint 'booth', plus a full time instructor/assistant on site.   Only caveats are 1) deluxe users have priority over basic members on equipment - supposedly not a problem, and 2) their hours are like 2-7 PM on Tues and Thurs, and 8-2 or so on Saturday.   I have gone over there and toured and talked to the main working guy(he has a supervisor) about what stuff I'd like to do and he said it should be well within their abilities.   Just haven't had the money in the past, nor the time this year to start going.   Figured they could fine tune my 3d printer and give me a lot of assistance with projects.    Let me know if you want to go over there, and you could just swing by my place and I could drive you up there if it works, or not.

LJ Casey
Maryville,IL

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:58 AM, David Jobe, Sr. <tangerine_flyer@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken Anderson

I might be interested in continuing the business, such a great product.  I am tired of being a nurse (45 years) and need a new gig to keep me interested. I would like to see how the process works as you said you would explain in a post.  thanks Ken