Topics

Blackstone cars and Locos

Mike Chamberlain
 

  A couple weeks ago I bought a small set of the HOn3 Sharon couplers for Blackstone models . It looked like the website said they would work without mods. on the boxcars and stock cars , but they will still need reamed as they are way too tight . Should I also expect the other cars to  require this , and are there any other mods I can expect for the other Blackstone cars ? .....Mike

Dale Buxton
 

The pivot point ( the post with the threaded hole where the coupler cover screw goes) on Blackstone cars is only the same diameter and tapper on the box and stock cars (same under frame). The gons, flats, tanks and refrigerators all have slightly different diameters and tappers. So plan on reaming all Sharons with a tapered reamer.

Dale




On Sunday, May 26, 2019, 15:11, Mike Chamberlain <mikec6201@...> wrote:

  A couple weeks ago I bought a small set of the HOn3 Sharon couplers for Blackstone models . It looked like the website said they would work without mods. on the boxcars and stock cars , but they will still need reamed as they are way too tight . Should I also expect the other cars to  require this , and are there any other mods I can expect for the other Blackstone cars ? .....Mike

Mike Chamberlain
 

Thanks Dale , that's kinda what I figured .....Mike


On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 7:31 PM Dale Buxton via Groups.Io <the_one_tuatha_ddana=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The pivot point ( the post with the threaded hole where the coupler cover screw goes) on Blackstone cars is only the same diameter and tapper on the box and stock cars (same under frame). The gons, flats, tanks and refrigerators all have slightly different diameters and tappers. So plan on reaming all Sharons with a tapered reamer.

Dale




On Sunday, May 26, 2019, 15:11, Mike Chamberlain <mikec6201@...> wrote:

  A couple weeks ago I bought a small set of the HOn3 Sharon couplers for Blackstone models . It looked like the website said they would work without mods. on the boxcars and stock cars , but they will still need reamed as they are way too tight . Should I also expect the other cars to  require this , and are there any other mods I can expect for the other Blackstone cars ? .....Mike

Scott McDonald
 

Mike have you had a chance to run the Blackstone cars with the Sergent couplers?  What do you think of them so far?

Scott McDonald

Mike Chamberlain
 

I like them ! Took a while to get assembly down , but as soon as I started using a toothpick to burnish the bearing hole I had much better results . They look great on the cars , and especially on the passenger cars the coulping distance is much better . They uncouple just fine with the magnet tool . Only problem is that aren't easy to couple . My layout has almost no straight track and you need to be right over them to set them up for coupling . Not a big deal for me as I am mostly a runner , but they may be frustrating to someone that does a lot of switching ......Mike


On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 8:43 AM Scott <repairman87@...> wrote:
Mike have you had a chance to run the Blackstone cars with the Sergent couplers?  What do you think of them so far?

Scott McDonald