Date   
Re: Coupler stock

Frank Sergent
 

Hi Todd, et al,
 
So far I have found no solution for manufacturing the investment cast items. I have not given up completely. However, the whole thing is pretty discouraging and I’m not dedicating as much time as I did to finding the solution. I have recently had some personal issues pop up that require a lot of my attention too and to be honest, those take priority. I do feel like these will eventually be available again, but I really just can’t say when. In the meantime, I encourage any willing soul to download the designs and give it go. If you can get these to print (currently I can not), the hard part is done.
 
Something I should clarify is that the die cast items are in a much better situation. You may have noticed that the bulk packs (EC87KB and SBE87KB) are currently listed as out of stock as well. However, there are more of those on the way soon.
 
Frank
 

Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 6:31 PM
Subject: [Sergent Engineering] Coupler stock
 
Still no news on stock availability for long shank and type F couplers? Really hoping this isn't the end for them especially how popular theyve become now. I've got almost all my fleet done except for my cushion cars and coal cars requiring type F's.

Re: Coupler stock

Todd Fisher
 

Thank you Frank for that update. I am glad to at least hear it from you that it ain't over yet. I truly hope to see them all back in stock soon. In the meantime I will continue to build the ones I currently have. Thank you again and I hope all is well with you. 


On Thu, Feb 7, 2019, 10:33 PM Frank Sergent <fsergent@...> wrote:
Hi Todd, et al,
 
So far I have found no solution for manufacturing the investment cast items. I have not given up completely. However, the whole thing is pretty discouraging and I’m not dedicating as much time as I did to finding the solution. I have recently had some personal issues pop up that require a lot of my attention too and to be honest, those take priority. I do feel like these will eventually be available again, but I really just can’t say when. In the meantime, I encourage any willing soul to download the designs and give it go. If you can get these to print (currently I can not), the hard part is done.
 
Something I should clarify is that the die cast items are in a much better situation. You may have noticed that the bulk packs (EC87KB and SBE87KB) are currently listed as out of stock as well. However, there are more of those on the way soon.
 
Frank
 
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 6:31 PM
Subject: [Sergent Engineering] Coupler stock
 
Still no news on stock availability for long shank and type F couplers? Really hoping this isn't the end for them especially how popular theyve become now. I've got almost all my fleet done except for my cushion cars and coal cars requiring type F's.

Any Spare Couplers lying around?!?

John Degnan
 

Group,


Due to the production issues currently afoot at our favorite coupler manufacturer, I am looking for anyone out there who might have a stash of spare S SCALE - EC64K couplers you'd be willing to part with.


If so, this could be a good $$$ day for you!  Please contact me, and let's make a deal.  I'll gladly buy ALL you're willing to part with!  My e-mail address is below...



John Degnan

Scaler164@...


Re: Coupler stock

Andrew Malette
 

Thanks, John.  Please keep me posted.  I have a ton of the original couplers which I find now are becoming a pain to put together, difficult to be consistent and eventually they come apart.  I will replace them with the newer ones once they become available.  Jeff English says they are like the difference between night and day.

 

BTW, did you get the hopper in good shape?

 

Cheers,

 

Andy Malette

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

Re: Coupler stock

John Degnan
 

Yes, Jeff is right - the new Sergent couplers are very much easier to assemble... built-in alignment assures the parts cannot be out-of-true.  I wasn't a big fan of the assembly of the original Sergent couplers either.


Yep, I got the hopper and am quite happy to finally have one.  I assume you did receive the payment?



John D



On February 8, 2019 at 7:43 AM Andrew Malette <acfm3304@...> wrote:

Thanks, John.  Please keep me posted.  I have a ton of the original couplers which I find now are becoming a pain to put together, difficult to be consistent and eventually they come apart.  I will replace them with the newer ones once they become available.  Jeff English says they are like the difference between night and day.

 

BTW, did you get the hopper in good shape?

 

Cheers,

 

Andy Malette

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


 


 

New Membership

Timothy Cann
 

My brother and I have been building an HO layout that raises above the cars in a two-car garage.  So far we've concentrated on everything except rolling stock.  Our yard/turntable is finished, but we realized we had no provision for uncoupling.  That was six weeks ago!!  We never realized how extensive the coupler subject is; now we've had an introduction.  We need to standardize on a specific coupler and just assumed it would be Kadee.  Enter Sergent, and a whole new perspective.  We hope this group will help us in our quest to choose. Tim (me) and Jim

1st post.

Cliff
 

Name is Cliff. I've been using Sergents for a few years, mainly for customers cars. The lack of stock as of late has put a damper on others projects, so I'll be focusing on my own static models--mainly graffiti covered hoppers and cabooses "cabeese"-- that do not require long drawbars. 

Does anyone know what alloy the Diecast couplers are cast in? No luck in reaching the main-man Frank by email. If the metal is right, I'll start shortening the couplers myself.

Thanks in advance.

Re: 1st post.

Frank Sergent
 

Hi Cliff,
 
You just reached me. Don’t be shy about using the group for this. It seems to be the most reliable method.
 
Diecast couplers are in Zamak 3. Unfortunately, its pretty much impossible to solder this stuff. If you want a coupler that doesn’t stick out so far (without the obvious solution of buying a shorter coupler from me – which can’t be done right now), the easiest route is to switch to the narrow shank version and back up its mounting location a tad. You can use draft gear boxes from Smoky Mountain Models or Accurail to make the job easier. That might sound like extra work, but its much easier than trying to shorten the compatible shank couplers and you get a near scale width box as a side benefit.
 
Frank
 

Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2019 7:26 PM
Subject: [Sergent Engineering] 1st post.
 
Name is Cliff. I've been using Sergents for a few years, mainly for customers cars. The lack of stock as of late has put a damper on others projects, so I'll be focusing on my own static models--mainly graffiti covered hoppers and cabooses "cabeese"-- that do not require long drawbars.

Does anyone know what alloy the Diecast couplers are cast in? No luck in reaching the main-man Frank by email. If the metal is right, I'll start shortening the couplers myself.

Thanks in advance.

Re: 1st post.

Cliff
 

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 08:11 PM, Frank Sergent wrote:
Hi Cliff,
 
You just reached me. Don’t be shy about using the group for this. It seems to be the most reliable method.
 
Diecast couplers are in Zamak 3. Unfortunately, its pretty much impossible to solder this stuff. If you want a coupler that doesn’t stick out so far (without the obvious solution of buying a shorter coupler from me – which can’t be done right now), the easiest route is to switch to the narrow shank version and back up its mounting location a tad. You can use draft gear boxes from Smoky Mountain Models or Accurail to make the job easier. That might sound like extra work, but its much easier than trying to shorten the compatible shank couplers and you get a near scale width box as a side benefit.
 
Frank
 
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2019 7:26 PM
Subject: [Sergent Engineering] 1st post.
 
Name is Cliff. I've been using Sergents for a few years, mainly for customers cars. The lack of stock as of late has put a damper on others projects, so I'll be focusing on my own static models--mainly graffiti covered hoppers and cabooses "cabeese"-- that do not require long drawbars.

Does anyone know what alloy the Diecast couplers are cast in? No luck in reaching the main-man Frank by email. If the metal is right, I'll start shortening the couplers myself.

Thanks in advance.

 On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 08:11 PM, Frank Sergent wrote:
Hi Cliff,
 
You just reached me. Don’t be shy about using the group for this. It seems to be the most reliable method.
 
Diecast couplers are in Zamak 3. Unfortunately, its pretty much impossible to solder this stuff. If you want a coupler that doesn’t stick out so far (without the obvious solution of buying a shorter coupler from me – which can’t be done right now), the easiest route is to switch to the narrow shank version and back up its mounting location a tad. You can use draft gear boxes from Smoky Mountain Models or Accurail to make the job easier. That might sound like extra work, but its much easier than trying to shorten the compatible shank couplers and you get a near scale width box as a side benefit.
 
Frank
 
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2019 7:26 PM
Subject: [Sergent Engineering] 1st post.
 
Name is Cliff. I've been using Sergents for a few years, mainly for customers cars. The lack of stock as of late has put a damper on others projects, so I'll be focusing on my own static models--mainly graffiti covered hoppers and cabooses "cabeese"-- that do not require long drawbars.

Does anyone know what alloy the Diecast couplers are cast in? No luck in reaching the main-man Frank by email. If the metal is right, I'll start shortening the couplers myself.

Thanks in advance.

 Thanks for the speedy reply Frank. I looked up Zamak 3 and it's zinc alloy, so I'm going to test them against my Muggyweld. If all goes well, they'll compliment my Moloco draft gear and Tangent. I model modern, so no riveted boxes from Smokey. I'll keep the board posted when the time comes.

Steam Coupler pocket

Dave Yingst
 

Any idea when steam coupler pockets will again be available. Need one for an ihc mogil upgrade that is almost done. Thanks.  Dave Yingst,  Corning,CA




.

Group Membership Request

Tim Buege
 

Hi,

I’m a Narrow Gauger in the Twin Cities hoping to build a small 1890s freelance Colorado layout. I’ve had my eye on the Sergent / Sharon couplers for a while and would like access to the group so that I may learn more about them.

Thanks!

Tim

Re: Steam Coupler pocket

Matt Goodman
 

Dave,

I think I have one that I won't be using anytime soon.  Let me check when I get home, and if it's where I think it is, I can forward it to you if you'd like it.

Matt Goodman
Columbus Ohio US

On Feb 18, 2019, at 08:57 PM, "Dave Yingst via Groups.Io" <yingstco@...> wrote:

Any idea when steam coupler pockets will again be available. Need one for an ihc mogil upgrade that is almost done. Thanks.  Dave Yingst,  Corning,CA




.



Re: Steam Coupler pocket

Paul Thomson
 

I would also be interested in knowing the answer

Re: Steam Coupler pocket

Paul Thomson
 

I would also be interested in the answer, or does anyone know of a source of
Glatzl dummies ?

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Dave Yingst via Groups.Io" <yingstco=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: February 18, 2019 at 8:57 PM



Any idea when steam coupler pockets will again be available. Need one for
an ihc mogil upgrade that is almost done. Thanks.  Dave Yingst, 
Corning,CA
.


Coupler order

Peter York
 

Hi Frank,

Can you tell me the status of my order for 20 EC87K 6-packs placed on February 8?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Peter York

Re: Coupler order

Frank Sergent
 

Hi Peter,
 
Your order shipped this morning. You should receive a notification from Paypal that includes the tracking number shortly if you haven’t already.
 
Thanks,
Frank
 

Sent: Friday, February 22, 2019 2:56 PM
Subject: [Sergent Engineering] Coupler order
 
Hi Frank,
 
Can you tell me the status of my order for 20 EC87K 6-packs placed on February 8?
 
Thanks very much for your assistance.
 
Peter York

Re: Coupler order

Peter York
 

Hi Frank,

Thank you. Do you know when you will have your bulk packs back in stock?

And do you still make S scale couplers?

Best regards,

Peter

On Feb 23, 2019, at 2:08 PM, Frank Sergent <fsergent@...> wrote:

Hi Peter,
 
Your order shipped this morning. You should receive a notification from Paypal that includes the tracking number shortly if you haven’t already.
 
Thanks,
Frank
 
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2019 2:56 PM
Subject: [Sergent Engineering] Coupler order
 
Hi Frank,
 
Can you tell me the status of my order for 20 EC87K 6-packs placed on February 8?
 
Thanks very much for your assistance.
 
Peter York

Re: Coupler order

Cliff
 

Website says (expected back March 2019). Does it say something different for you?

Re: Coupler order

Peter York
 

Just double-checking. I can see the HO date, but nothing about S.

On Feb 23, 2019, at 3:40 PM, Cliff via Groups.Io <xzxc175@...> wrote:

Website says (expected back March 2019). Does it say something different for you?

Re: Coupler order

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
 

S is on hold:(  Frank has lots of knuckles but the 2 body parts are investment cast.
--
Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and Hn42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest
group_list@...