Date   
Making the plunge!

Ed Tibbetts <tippytib@...>
 

I am about ready to " make the plunge" and convert my 50 pieces of HOn3 rolling stock/engines to Sergent couplers. They all have Kadee 714's now. I have 2 questions. 
Are the Sharon's compatible with the other Sergent couplers?
Can I get a q144 "bulk" pack of the Sharon RNC87 couplers? (Like the RNB's)

Thanks.    Ed T.
P.S.  My first post. Been watching quietly for a couple of years.

Re: Sergent Engineering My intro

Mike Van Hove
 

Hi,

I’ve been a HO Standard gage modeler for way too many years. I have just over 100 freight and passing cars, all from the 1900 to 1910 era. My road is the Colorado Midland.

I got the rolling stock all hooked uo with Kadees, several years ago.

I forget what made me try the Sergent Couplers, but I did and really loved the fact they don’t do that accordian dance, as the train moves along.

Next thing you know, I was converting all these cars and locos to Sergents.

Now, as I’m getting older, my wife says we should move to Lenoir Woods, a nice retirement village near us.

We are on the waiting list for a home. No way we could cram even 1/4 of our “Stuff” into an apartment.

One thing is for certain, my 8’ x 30’ Colorado Midland layout will see the chainsaw.

My plan (in my mind), is to build some small modules in HOn3. (My wife hasn’t been told about this plan, yet).

I also have 2 Blackstone Engines, and 1 Westside T-12, which now have Sergents.

Naturally, I can’t wait, so I’m building Rail Line and Labelle kits, in HOn3.

Also, naturally, the couplers are Sergent. Most likely I will have only 20 or 30 cars total, as there is no way there will be room for more.

So, I have to sell off the Standard Gage rolling stock. The cars all have Sergents, but I’m including the Kadees, for the uneducated folks who don’t appreciate Sergents. 😀

So, now, you know more about my hobby then you wanted know.

Thanks for switching me over to this new chat venue.

Mike Van Hove

Re: Making the plunge!

Jonathan Zook
 

Hi Ed,

Glad to hear you're going to start the conversion to the Sharon couplers.  Sergent Engineering does indeed sell a 144 count pack of Sharons.  It's item # ENC87KB, and can be found on the narrow shank link on his website.  If you haven't already, I suggest picking up a copy of the HOn3 Annual from 2014 to read the article John Niemeyer, Mike Conder, and I wrote about the Sharon couplers.  Here's the link if you don't own it:

https://shop.whiteriverproductions.com/products/ho14

As far as coupling compatibility with other Sergent couplers, I don't have any experience with that.  Hopefully someone else here on the forum can provide feedback.

Good luck!

Jon

New subscriber

Peter Burr
 

I have been experimenting with Sergent couplers for several months on my 2x20’ layout. So far, I’m very pleased in that setting. When operating on my club layout I use Kaydee’s for interchangeability.

Coupler comparison

Ken Neufeld
 

I added 3 photos to the photo directory.
This is to compare prototype, Sergent and Kadee. The boxcar is Sn3 and the Kadee is a #26.
Comments on the appearance, prototype to either of the others.
Thanks,
Ken Neufeld

Re: Coupler comparison

Mike Conder
 

Ken, the IO site doesn't yet have all the functionality of the old Yahoo group, so I can't find your photos ... the listing sequence is fixed and basically alphabetical.. So can you let us know the name of the album with your photos?

Thanks, Mike Conder

Re: New Member

tomsmodeltrains@...
 

Hello Group Members....I model HO and O scale passenger car equipment both heavyweight and streamline. I slice, dice and kit bash all of this equipment. Unfortunately the diaphragms on the cars preclude the use of the Sergent coupler. However, if I were to start modeling the older, wooden, open platform equipment, I'd use the Sergents. In the mean time I enjoy reading the posts and find them to be very informative.....Tom Bavolar

Re: Coupler comparison

Mark Lewis
 

Ken:

IMO- the Sergent looks most prototypical. Which Sergent coupler are you using for Sn3?

Mark Lewis

Re: Coupler comparison

Ken Neufeld
 

Mike and Mark
You have to be logged in to the io groups. Photo directory is on the left. Title is coupler comparison.
I am using the HO compatible shank, .100 extended version for boxcars. This one will replace the #26 wherever it is used.

Ken

Re: Coupler comparison

Mark Lewis
 

Ken:

I had no trouble viewing your photos.

Thank you for the info on which specific Sergent coupler you are using for a replacement of the Kadee #26, in Sn3.

Mark Lewis

Re: Making the plunge!

Ed Tibbetts <tippytib@...>
 

I "bit the bullet" today and ordered a "starter kit" of RNC87's. I have some LaBelle box cars that have very little space between them when coupled together, so I am hopeful the C's will leave room for the uncupling wand. These cars will belong to the Red Mountain R.R., a switchback line off the summit of my HOn3 Colorado R.R.. I got an email back from Frank @ Sergent last night, and he said I would have no compatibility issues mixing the Sharon's with SBEC87P130K's. I plan to use the sbec's as pilot couplers on my rod engines. All my loco's are DeadRail, so I don't have to worry about electrical shorts if I double head the hill. :-) He also said he can supply the bulk (144) pack of RNC87K's. Said just order the B's, and send an email stating I really want the C's.  :-)

Re: Making the plunge!

John Niemeyer
 

Ed
 
I modified the draft gear box from a Micro Trains Line (MTL) 1025/1029 to work with the RNB87K couplers for several of my HOn3 models, including some Labelle. It would be nice if someone better than me, would make that draft gear box and sell it. I would buy hundreds for my HOn30 fleet.
 
Also if you’re worried about shorting thru the couplers. How often are you going to couple a rod engine front to front? The rear coupler is almost always insulated anyway, so not an issue. For my brass engines, I have successfully use Sergent RS1P87 & ES1P87 front pilot couplers with very little modifications to the engine.
 
John
 
 
I "bit the bullet" today and ordered a "starter kit" of RNC87's. I have some LaBelle box cars that have very little space between them when coupled together, so I am hopeful the C's will leave room for the uncupling wand. These cars will belong to the Red Mountain R.R., a switchback line off the summit of my HOn3 Colorado R.R.. I got an email back from Frank @ Sergent last night, and he said I would have no compatibility issues mixing the Sharon's with SBEC87P130K's. I plan to use the sbec's as pilot couplers on my rod engines. All my loco's are DeadRail, so I don't have to worry about electrical shorts if I double head the hill. :-) He also said he can supply the bulk (144) pack of RNC87K's. Said just order the B's, and send an email stating I really want the C's.  :-)

Re: Making the plunge!

Ed Tibbetts <tippytib@...>
 

I put up a couple of pictures of my first candidates. This is 1/2 the Red Mountain R.R. tolling stock. I figured if Otto Mears could use a shay om the Silverton R.R, I could use a climax.
I'll post again when I have the 6 sets of couplers installed and running.

Re: Making the plunge!

Dale Buxton
 

Ed,
Funny you should ask about an after market coupler box for Sergent Sharon couplers in HOn3. Right now I’m working on a design to send to Shapeways to have them do in some kind of nylon. I’m not promising anything just yet. I have to see if my design will work with Shapeways production capabilities.

I’m thinking of a spring centering design that would use the coil spring that comes with the couplers. You would need to drill a tiny hole in the back end of the couplers shank and put a brass pin in the hole that would have about 1mm left sticking out the shanks back end. This pin would act as a keeper for the spring that would be mounted behind the shank. Or you could just leave the spring off like I do a lot of the time.

The box would be one piece with a length that is roughly the minimum of the distance between the inside back of a cars end beam and the front side of the bolster beam.

Right now all I use is the bottom half of a Kadee 714 coupler box on my scratch built cars. They do the job very nicely. But, I can see where are times where a self-centering coupler would be helpfull.

Dale Buxton




On Wednesday, February 7, 2018, 15:04, John Niemeyer <reverend455@...> wrote:

Ed
 
I modified the draft gear box from a Micro Trains Line (MTL) 1025/1029 to work with the RNB87K couplers for several of my HOn3 models, including some Labelle. It would be nice if someone better than me, would make that draft gear box and sell it. I would buy hundreds for my HOn30 fleet.
 
Also if you’re worried about shorting thru the couplers. How often are you going to couple a rod engine front to front? The rear coupler is almost always insulated anyway, so not an issue. For my brass engines, I have successfully use Sergent RS1P87 & ES1P87 front pilot couplers with very little modifications to the engine.
 
John
 
 
I "bit the bullet" today and ordered a "starter kit" of RNC87's. I have some LaBelle box cars that have very little space between them when coupled together, so I am hopeful the C's will leave room for the uncupling wand. These cars will belong to the Red Mountain R.R., a switchback line off the summit of my HOn3 Colorado R.R.. I got an email back from Frank @ Sergent last night, and he said I would have no compatibility issues mixing the Sharon's with SBEC87P130K's. I plan to use the sbec's as pilot couplers on my rod engines. All my loco's are DeadRail, so I don't have to worry about electrical shorts if I double head the hill. :-) He also said he can supply the bulk (144) pack of RNC87K's. Said just order the B's, and send an email stating I really want the C's.  :-)

Re: New Member

Nathan Rich
 

Diaphragms do not preclude the use of sergent couplers, you just have to use an MWRY uncoupler tool which is designed to work with passenger equipment.

Nathan Rich 

On Feb 6, 2018 16:04, "Thomas Bavolar" <tomsmodeltrains@...> wrote:
Hello Group Members....I model HO and O scale passenger car equipment both heavyweight and streamline. I slice, dice and kit bash all of this equipment. Unfortunately the diaphragms on the cars preclude the use of the Sergent coupler. However, if I were to start modeling the older, wooden, open platform equipment, I'd use the Sergents. In the mean time I enjoy reading the posts and find them to be very informative.....Tom Bavolar

Re: New Member

Thomas Bavolar <tomsmodeltrains@...>
 

Hello Nathan and thanks for the reply. I'd like to get one of these uncoupler tools. Where are they available?......Tom

Re: New Member

Nathan Rich
 

Sergent Engineering website, hit Products, then Compatible, and scroll down. 

Nathan

On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Thomas Bavolar <tomsmodeltrains@...> wrote:
Hello Nathan and thanks for the reply. I'd like to get one of these uncoupler tools. Where are they available?......Tom


Would like to join Group.

Greg Benco
 

Hi guys. Have bought these couplers in the past and like them. Not big on the conversational side but may have a question or 2 every now and then. I model HO scale. Used to be on the Yahoo group but didn't know it had moved, as I don't visit Yahoo that much. Only found out about the move recently from the Sergent website as I was looking to place another order for couplers.


Thanks, Greg Benco.

Re: Making the plunge!

Ed Tibbetts <tippytib@...>
 

Got my Sergent Starter Set in the mail yesterday. Made a parts box for all the minute parts, plus the mounting screws and Kadee coupler pockets. I was pleasently surprised to find each package of RNC87K's contained a "bakers 1/2 dozen parts😊. Thanks Frank!

Couplers

Ken Anderson
 

Hi everyone,my name is ken and I have been using Sargent couplers for a couple of years with good success.