Date   
[SergentEng] Coupler style for 1970 era SP engines

Nathan Rich
 

Most pictures of freight locomotives from that time that I have seen have the usual E heads. Passenger locomotives usually had H heads at that time. I would check roster shots of your specific locomotives to try to find which coupler they had.

It seems to be in more recent years that passenger locomotives and some freight engines, especially those in rotary dump coal train service, have started getting F heads. 

Nathan Rich


On Monday, May 9, 2016, davesnyder59@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:
 

No easy answer Rob. Best practice is to find period pictures and identify by using the NMRA coupler file in this groups files section. Remember that freight and passenger locos could use different couplers.

Dave Snyder
Louisville, Ky.

Re: [SergentEng] Coupler style for 1970 era SP engines

Rob Briney
 

Thank you gentlemen for your input. Though I was in high school and college during those years, I wasn't putting much of my studies into my life long love of trains!
Rob

Couplers ?

CTW W
 

Do they only make these in H O?   I'm looking for them in N scale 

Re: [SergentEng] Couplers ?

John Niemeyer <jniemeyer@...>
 

CT W
 
Here is a comparison of the “HO” scale Sharon coupler next to a Micro Train Line “N” scale coupler. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SergentEng/photos/albums/573633332/lightbox/883904003?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc&photoFilter=ALL#zax/883904003
 
You decide if that is close enough.
 
John

Do they only make these in H O?   I'm looking for them in N scale
 

Re: [SergentEng] Couplers ?

CTW W
 


Those couplers are very realistic hopefully they will fit in N scale freight and locomotives

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 8:39 PM, 'John Niemeyer' jniemeyer@... [SergentEng]
wrote:
 

CT W
 
Here is a comparison of the “HO” scale Sharon coupler next to a Micro Train Line “N” scale coupler. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SergentEng/photos/albums/573633332/lightbox/883904003?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc&photoFilter=ALL#zax/883904003
 
You decide if that is close enough.
 
John

Do they only make these in H O?   I'm looking for them in N scale
 

h-2-a couplers,(Rapid transit type couplers,NYCTA)

Martin Matsil
 

did anyone produce an HO-scale model of the Westinghouse h-2-a type tightlock coupler as used on the BMT,standards,Triplex,and IND R-1/9 subway cars.I am talking about a working model,of the same  coupler.Thanks,and  God bless.

On30 Application

Charles Owen
 

I have completed assembly of two pairs of S scale Sergent couplers that I intend to test on my On30 layout.  However, I am concerned by the lack of draft gear boxes to mount the couplers - I have noted the mention of John Degnan draft gear boxes as well as the Kadee #802 boxes. 


Several questions come to mind:


a).  Are either gear boxes readily available?


b).  Has anyone utilized Sergent couplers on Bachmann On30 EBT coal hoppers - is there a simple conversion process to facilitate this work?


c).  When using the S scale Sergent couplers for On30, is it best to use the couplers at the standard HO Bachmann coupler height or is it better to raise the coupler height to the On3 standard?  It appears that Bachmann On30 equipment was built with that possibility, even though the couplers are supplied at the HO level.


The use of Sergent S scale requires a rather expensive conversion process and hopefully there is a reasonable solution to the questions above.  I really think that the realistic appearance and operational aspects warrant the fullest consideration of the Sergent couplers.


Thanks for your thoughts.


C. Owen

Louisville, KY



Re: On30 Application

Mark
 

Hi. I too model in On30 but my prototype is more like Maine two footers so I have gone for Shannon style.     A lot smaller than your S scale coupler.   For me I did consider using straight HO but decided to go smaller again.  Have you considered using straight HO instead😊

Mark from oz

Re: [SergentEng] Re: On30 Application

Nathan Rich
 

It depends on what you really want to do.

I think that S scale couplers at On3 height is the best way to go if you are modeling something that used 3/4 size couplers and you are going for the closest to scale that you can. I believe the D&RGW used full size MCB couplers, which also enabled them to switch standard gauge cars on dual gauge trackage. I think that HO couplers at regular HO height is a maybe sort of okay compromise but they certainly aren't scale.

It does not appear that Kadee offers coupler boxes independently of their couplers, though you might ask them if they'll sell you a bunch. 

Nathan Rich

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:49 PM, markstafford15@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:
 

Hi. I too model in On30 but my prototype is more like Maine two footers so I have gone for Shannon style.     A lot smaller than your S scale coupler.   For me I did consider using straight HO but decided to go smaller again.  Have you considered using straight HO instead😊


Mark from oz


Re: [SergentEng] Re: On30 Application

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
 

KD does offer their S/On30 box but do not catalog it.  You must call them.

(541) 826-3883 

Another option is the box from SMMW:
<http://www.smokymountainmodelworks.com/S_detail_parts.html>
 
TCC:}

Ultra Capacity Coupler

Tim L
 

Hello all,

Well, it's been quite quiet here of late so I'll see if I can work up
some chatter. I was wondering if the coupler (attached pic) has been used anywhere else but here in Oz? They are not common here, being pretty well limited to the iron ore railways in the north west of the country and to some locomotives that work coal traffic on the east cost.

I have an interest in modelling some of our iron ore stuff but dread
the thought of the cost for Frank to develop and run a minimum of the
couplers for me, so I thought I'd find out if this is something that has a use elsewhere that might make it a candidate for Frank to consider on his own down the line.

Cheers,

Tim
Land of OZ

Attached: Alliance Ultra Capacity Coupler.

Re: [SergentEng] Re: On30 Application

Charles Owen
 

Thanks for the several helpful responses to my earlier questions concerning Sergent S scale couplers being used for On30.  I have subsequently decided to utilize the Sergents with Kadee #802 S scale gear boxes placed at the recommended NMRA On3 coupler height standard.  

C. Owen
Louisville, KY 

EC87A - DISCONTINUED?

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>
 

Hello Group,

When I visited the Sergent web site last week I did not find any listing of the EC87A — the assembled couplers — on the order list. Have these been discontinued? Does anyone on the list have knowledge of this or know that the assembled couplers are available or not?

I have sent Sergent an e-mail inquiry but so far have not received a reply.

My reason for asking is that with my old dog age shaky hands and less than perfect eyesight I am not sure that I would be able to assemble the “kit” couplers. Thus the reason for the use of the EC87A assembled versions.

Cheers & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Re: [SergentEng] EC87A - DISCONTINUED?

Dale Kritzky
 

The kits go together pretty easy, just make sure you get the fixture to put them together.
Sent from my NOOK

"Bill Keene wakeene@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

 

Hello Group,

When I visited the Sergent web site last week I did not find any listing of the EC87A — the assembled couplers — on the order list. Have these been discontinued? Does anyone on the list have knowledge of this or know that the assembled couplers are available or not?

I have sent Sergent an e-mail inquiry but so far have not received a reply.

My reason for asking is that with my old dog age shaky hands and less than perfect eyesight I am not sure that I would be able to assemble the “kit” couplers. Thus the reason for the use of the EC87A assembled versions.

Cheers & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Re: [SergentEng] EC87A - DISCONTINUED?

Josh Baakko
 

I was afraid to tackle the kits... Then the A's went out, and now I've done over 100 EC87 and SBEC87's, and I prefer it.

I'm sure there is a member or two who would assemble kits for you for a nominal charge.
Josh
San Diego CA

Re: [SergentEng] EC87A - DISCONTINUED?

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>
 

Josh & Group,

IIRC… there were some U-tube videos — or similar — showing assembly of the couplers. Just can not seem to find them in my data filing system today. Old dog memory in action, I guess.

My question to you is … are there any special tools required? I know one needs the assembly jig, but other than that, what is a definite necessity?

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA



On Jul 7, 2016, at 12:00 AM, josh@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

I was afraid to tackle the kits... Then the A's went out, and now I've done over 100 EC87 and SBEC87's, and I prefer it.

I'm sure there is a member or two who would assemble kits for you for a nominal charge.
Josh
San Diego CA


Re: [SergentEng] EC87A - DISCONTINUED?

Dale Kritzky
 

Besides the assembly fixture the only other tools I use to put together the couplers are gorilla super glue and tweezers for the balls. An idea of how easy they go together is,I met my my friend at a truckstop in Ohio, I showed him how they went together and he ended up building about 10 couplers in 20 minutes and he's got sausage fingers.
Sent from my NOOK

"Bill Keene wakeene@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

 

Josh & Group,


IIRC… there were some U-tube videos — or similar — showing assembly of the couplers. Just can not seem to find them in my data filing system today. Old dog memory in action, I guess.

My question to you is … are there any special tools required? I know one needs the assembly jig, but other than that, what is a definite necessity?

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA



On Jul 7, 2016, at 12:00 AM, josh@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

I was afraid to tackle the kits... Then the A's went out, and now I've done over 100 EC87 and SBEC87's, and I prefer it.

I'm sure there is a member or two who would assemble kits for you for a nominal charge.
Josh
San Diego CA


Re: [SergentEng] EC87A - DISCONTINUED?

Dave Snyder
 

Bill, ole man time has afflicted me as well. Here are some things I find needed. A vision enhancement, Optivisor, or lighted magnifier arm, or some lucky people can get by with inexpensive reading glasses. A nice big towel rolled up and shaped into a U or circle to rest your hands and forearms on 
and reduce shakes and catch those flying springs and ball bearings. Some nice long thin surgical tweezers to place bearings and springs on jig. A magnet to recover those pesky bearings. A needle to dispense the super glue (some cut the eye off halfway to give better glue volume) deposition.
Get extra springs and bearing with the jig. Probably forgot something, memory deteriorates with vision and nerves. Note that mother nature seems to help by gradually improving your vision and nervous control with repetition. Wishing you well.

Dave Snyder
Louisville, Ky.

Re: [SergentEng] EC87A - DISCONTINUED?

Mike Van Hove
 

Dave, Bill, and anyone else who cares:

I would recommend a small jewelers screwdriver that is very slightly magnetized.  Probably touching it to a magnet a couple of times will be enough.   I use that to pick up the ball (and the spring).  When I get the ball over the hole, I just push it off the magnet with the same pencil I used to Graphite the hole.  The ball will fall right in place.  I stress, you don’t want very much magnetism as you only want to pick up one ball, not a handfull.

These are pretty easy to do, once you get started.  I agree with Dave about the towel or some kind of thing to keep the errant balls from rolling off the work surface.  Once they hit the floor, they seem to evaporate.
Same with the springs.  In actuality, you really won’t loose all that many.  I bought (1) pack of extras when I started, have built enough couplers for 110 cars and haven’t used the entire pack of spares yet.

Give it a whirl, they are kinda fun to build, and as we all know, they sure look a whole lot better.

Mike Van Hove

On Jul 7, 2016, at 3:34 PM, davesnyder59@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Bill, ole man time has afflicted me as well. Here are some things I find needed. A vision enhancement, Optivisor, or lighted magnifier arm, or some lucky people can get by with inexpensive reading glasses. A nice big towel rolled up and shaped into a U or circle to rest your hands and forearms on  
and reduce shakes and catch those flying springs and ball bearings. Some nice long thin surgical tweezers to place bearings and springs on jig. A magnet to recover those pesky bearings. A needle to dispense the super glue (some cut the eye off halfway to give better glue volume) deposition.
Get extra springs and bearing with the jig. Probably forgot something, memory deteriorates with vision and nerves. Note that mother nature seems to help by gradually improving your vision and nervous control with repetition. Wishing you well.

Dave Snyder
Louisville, Ky.


Re: [SergentEng] EC87A - DISCONTINUED?

Mike Van Hove
 

Dave, Bill, and anyone else who cares:

I would recommend a small jewelers screwdriver that is very slightly magnetized.  Probably touching it to a magnet a couple of times will be enough.   I use that to pick up the ball (and the spring).  When I get the ball over the hole, I just push it off the magnet with the same pencil I used to Graphite the hole.  The ball will fall right in place.  I stress, you don’t want very much magnetism as you only want to pick up one ball, not a handfull.

These are pretty easy to do, once you get started.  I agree with Dave about the towel or some kind of thing to keep the errant balls from rolling off the work surface.  Once they hit the floor, they seem to evaporate.
Same with the springs.  In actuality, you really won’t loose all that many.  I bought (1) pack of extras when I started, have built enough couplers for 110 cars and haven’t used the entire pack of spares yet.

Give it a whirl, they are kinda fun to build, and as we all know, they sure look a whole lot better.

Mike Van Hove

On Jul 7, 2016, at 3:34 PM, davesnyder59@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Bill, ole man time has afflicted me as well. Here are some things I find needed. A vision enhancement, Optivisor, or lighted magnifier arm, or some lucky people can get by with inexpensive reading glasses. A nice big towel rolled up and shaped into a U or circle to rest your hands and forearms on  
and reduce shakes and catch those flying springs and ball bearings. Some nice long thin surgical tweezers to place bearings and springs on jig. A magnet to recover those pesky bearings. A needle to dispense the super glue (some cut the eye off halfway to give better glue volume) deposition.
Get extra springs and bearing with the jig. Probably forgot something, memory deteriorates with vision and nerves. Note that mother nature seems to help by gradually improving your vision and nervous control with repetition. Wishing you well.

Dave Snyder
Louisville, Ky.