Date   
Re: [SergentEng] Recommendations and Advice for Someone New to Sergent Couplers

Christopher Zurek
 

Back when I still used Kadee couplers I had a real issues with the metal covers falling off. I wound up drilling out the center posts and putting in small screws.

With Sergent couplers I use the EN87.

Chris Z.

On 12/8/2015 10:47 PM, Nathan Rich thaddeusthudpucker@... [SergentEng] wrote:
 

I've put many EC87's into Athearn cars.


Get a nice 1" flat mill file and give your assembled couplers a few swipes top and bottom of the shank. I find that they will operate a bit more smoothly.

You might consider EN87, then they go into the supplied Accurail box. I've had more than one coupler drop out on the mainline when the metal cover pops off.

Take Care,
Nathan Rich


walthers amfleet cars

Martin Matsil
 

i know that amtrak uses the H coupler on their  passenger cars,how are they mounted,on HO-scale cars,i am trying,to learn about,and how about,the walthers,horizon cars,used by Metro-North.Thanks,and God bless.

Re: Help

Mike Conder
 

A couple of us wrote an article in last year's 2014 HOn3 Annual that includes some tips on assembly of the Sharon couplers.  Most of these tips are useful for other couplers too.

Mike Conder


Re: [SergentEng] Help

Scott Atchison
 

Im doing the extended shank coulpers  .010. too long to fit in the jig. My problem is placing the knuckle. it keeps falling over.

Rapido passenger cars??

Dennis
 

Has anyone had experience with putting Sergent couplers on Rapido
Continental passenger cars? If so, which work with the Rapido coupler
box?

Thanks,

Dennis

Re: [SergentEng] Recommendations and Advice for Someone New to Sergent Couplers

Alan Hummel
 

Am I correct that the Narrow shank couplers were mostly assembled & the reason they're no longer listed is because assembled couplers are a thing of the past?

I was only going to use them on my Intermountain tankers of the corn syrup type tank which years back wouldn't accept any coupler except the narrow shank as those cars used the Accurail draft gear boxes.
Thank you,
Al Hummel 

Re: [SergentEng] Help

Dale Kritzky
 

I built some extended length shank couplers & yes they were a pain but I think if you put the coupler on the jig backwards it will work but you'll have to hold the coupler so it doesn't fall off. Dale
Sent from my NOOK

"eightnotch@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

 

Im doing the extended shank coulpers  .010. too long to fit in the jig. My problem is placing the knuckle. it keeps falling over.

Re: [SergentEng] walthers amfleet cars

Nathan Rich
 

I have a bunch of Walthers Amfleet cars that I put H couplers on, I used compatible shank couplers glued into the swinging pockets to eliminate the 'wrist' joint. They work well on smooth trackwork. 

This train serves as my model of the Amtrak Mt Rainier circa 1976, phase II F40PH (walthers, also with H couplers) and 4 Amfleet cars.

Nathan Rich


On Friday, December 11, 2015, martinmatsil1953@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:
 

i know that amtrak uses the H coupler on their  passenger cars,how are they mounted,on HO-scale cars,i am trying,to learn about,and how about,the walthers,horizon cars,used by Metro-North.Thanks,and God bless.

Re: [SergentEng] Using with Rapido passenger cars

Nathan Rich
 

I have had zero issues with thinning shanks with a mill file, I recommend it actually in some cases. A few swipes on the mill file is all you need. 

If you are installing couplers on a passenger car you want an HC87K coupler.

Nathan Rich


On Thursday, December 10, 2015, drail14me@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:
 

Hey everyone. New to the group but not Sergent couplers. Love em and have been using them for several years!

I've NOT yet installed any on my Rapido passenger cars and that's the reason I came to this group.

Has anyone had experience with which couplers to use on the Rapido cars?

I tried using the standard EC87K but the shanks were too thick to use in the Rapido coupler box. I thought about filing them down thinner but thought I'd check here for a more compatible model Sergent before going through all that trouble of filing down shanks.

Thanks,

Dennis

Re: [SergentEng] Help

Nathan Rich
 

If you like, contact me off-list regarding assembly of your couplers. I'm willing to assemble couplers for anybody who does not want to do it themselves, I plan on starting en masse assembly sometime in the new year.

Nathan Rich


On Friday, December 11, 2015, Dale Kritzky dalekritzky@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:
 

I built some extended length shank couplers & yes they were a pain but I think if you put the coupler on the jig backwards it will work but you'll have to hold the coupler so it doesn't fall off. Dale
Sent from my NOOK

"eightnotch@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

 

Im doing the extended shank coulpers  .010. too long to fit in the jig. My problem is placing the knuckle. it keeps falling over.

Re: [SergentEng] Recommendations and Advice for Someone New to Sergent Couplers

Nathan Rich
 

I believe one can still get a bulk pack of EN87's with boxes as item code EN87KB.

Nathan Rich

On Friday, December 11, 2015, Alan Hummel ahummel72@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:
 

Am I correct that the Narrow shank couplers were mostly assembled & the reason they're no longer listed is because assembled couplers are a thing of the past?

I was only going to use them on my Intermountain tankers of the corn syrup type tank which years back wouldn't accept any coupler except the narrow shank as those cars used the Accurail draft gear boxes.
Thank you,
Al Hummel 

Re: [SergentEng] Help

Scott Atchison
 

Thanks dale I will give that a try

Re: walthers amfleet cars

David R. Olsen <drolsen@...>
 

When I first started experimenting with the original Sergent couplers, I tested them in Walthers Superliners by completely removing the original swinging coupler mounts and installing Kadee coupler boxes. This allowed me to set the cars up for close coupling so that the diaphragms would just barely touch.

I haven't gotten around to putting the Type H couplers (which I had been waiting for) in my Amtrak equipment, but I'll probably do the same thing again. Sergents work very smoothly in Kadee coupler boxes without any filing to thin them down, and they're concealed under the car and behind the end sill anyway. This setup requires broader curves (I haven't tested the minimum yet), but that's my goal for my future layout anyway.

Dave Olsen
Alexandria, VA

On Dec 11, 2015, at 3:00 PM, martinmatsil1953@... wrote:i know that amtrak uses the H coupler on their  passenger cars,how are they mounted,on HO-scale cars,i am trying,to learn about,and how about,the walthers,horizon cars,used by Metro-North.Thanks,and God bless.

Re: [SergentEng] Re: walthers amfleet cars

Alden G. McBee
 

I mounted the type H on the new plated Walther’s Amfleet cars, and it was an easy installation with prototype spacing, I believe, and the look great.  Problem was the diaphragms wouldn’t flex enough  to negotiate my 30” minimum radii.  Removing one diaphragm solved the problem, but I am not satisfied with that situation.  Eventually I am going to try and get the diaphrams to swivel more.  I guess I could use Kadees (with more slack) between cars and only use the Sergents on the ends of the train where they are more visible,  but I hate to compromise on this.
—Alden McBee

On Dec 13, 2015, at 6:56 PM, 'David R. Olsen' drolsen@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:


When I first started experimenting with the original Sergent couplers, I tested them in Walthers Superliners by completely removing the original swinging coupler mounts and installing Kadee coupler boxes. This allowed me to set the cars up for close coupling so that the diaphragms would just barely touch.

I haven't gotten around to putting the Type H couplers (which I had been waiting for) in my Amtrak equipment, but I'll probably do the same thing again. Sergents work very smoothly in Kadee coupler boxes without any filing to thin them down, and they're concealed under the car and behind the end sill anyway. This setup requires broader curves (I haven't tested the minimum yet), but that's my goal for my future layout anyway.

Dave Olsen
Alexandria, VA

On Dec 11, 2015, at 3:00 PM, martinmatsil1953@... wrote:i know that amtrak uses the H coupler on their  passenger cars,how are they mounted,on HO-scale cars,i am trying,to learn about,and how about,the walthers,horizon cars,used by Metro-North.Thanks,and God bless.


Re: walthers amfleet cars

David R. Olsen <drolsen@...>
 

Alden, this issue has come up a couple times on various lists in reference to Walthers diaphragms. My plan is to add a spacer between the metal leaf spring and the end of the car so that it doesn't put as much pressure on those tabs at the top and bottom of the diaphragm. The other suggestion I've heard is to replace it with a piece of thin styrene strip which wouldn't be as strong as the metal spring. I think either way should work - I know other have used the styrene strip idea - I just figured the plastic strip would start to develop a memory over time and lose some of its pressure.

Dave Olsen
Alexandria, VA

On Dec 13, 2015, at 7:36 PM, Alden G. McBee <agm@...> wrote:
 

I mounted the type H on the new plated Walther’s Amfleet cars, and it was an easy installation with prototype spacing, I believe, and the look great.  Problem was the diaphragms wouldn’t flex enough  to negotiate my 30” minimum radii.  Removing one diaphragm solved the problem, but I am not satisfied with that situation.  Eventually I am going to try and get the diaphrams to swivel more.  I guess I could use Kadees (with more slack) between cars and only use the Sergents on the ends of the train where they are more visible,  but I hate to compromise on this._

Re: [SergentEng] Re: walthers amfleet cars

Alden G. McBee
 

Hi Dave.  The cars I have use a plastic leaf spring on each side of the diaphragm that is cast as part of the diaphragm.   It seems to make the diaphragm bottom out too soon and not let it swivel enough. There may not be enough swivel even if the spring were removed.  I have hesitated working on it without a spare as I don’t know if they can be purchased from Walthers;  I need to give them a call.  I have also considered trying to add springs to Train Station Products Amfleet diaphragms, but I haven’t checked to see if they are the same size, and it would probably be more difficult than using the originals.
   Alden McBee
   Wheeling, WV

On Dec 13, 2015, at 9:00 PM, 'David R. Olsen' drolsen@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:


Alden, this issue has come up a couple times on various lists in reference to Walthers diaphragms. My plan is to add a spacer between the metal leaf spring and the end of the car so that it doesn't put as much pressure on those tabs at the top and bottom of the diaphragm. The other suggestion I've heard is to replace it with a piece of thin styrene strip which wouldn't be as strong as the metal spring. I think either way should work - I know other have used the styrene strip idea - I just figured the plastic strip would start to develop a memory over time and lose some of its pressure.

Dave Olsen
Alexandria, VA



Re: walthers amfleet cars

David R. Olsen <drolsen@...>
 

Hi Alden,

 

Thanks, I didn't realize the new Amfleet cars had a different style of diaphragm spring, but it makes sense that they would be evolving.  I always thought the old metal leaf spring was kind of "iffy," since it was at risk of popping loose inside the car, but that also made it fixable, whereas if plastic tabs on a one-piece diaphragm break, you're out of luck.

 

Walthers used to be good about spare parts.  When the first couple runs of Superliners came out, the windows were glued inside the undecorated cars, and Walthers sent me some spare windows and diaphragms after I broke a couple parts trying to disassemble one of the cars.  A few years ago, I bought a couple cheap Walthers passenger cars at a show that came without grab irons, and Walthers was willing to sell me a couple packets of the grabs.  I'm not sure I'd have that kind of luck getting parts now.  I haven't tried myself

 

I'm not sure if you've seen the TSP Amfleet diaphragms, but they are very thin in profile (like the prototype), about 1/3 of the Walthers version, so I'm not how you'd mount springs to them and conceal the springs.

 

Back to Sergents, I really need to get back to working on my Amtrak equipment now that I have some Type H couplers - they are fantastic, like every Sergent coupler, and they are one of the details that I waiting for to move forward with my Amtrak modeling.

 

Dave Olsen

Alexandria, VA
 

On Dec 13, 2015 at 10:52 PM, Alden G. McBee agm@... wrote: 
Hi Dave. The cars I have use a plastic leaf spring on each side of the diaphragm that is cast as part of the diaphragm. It seems to make the diaphragm bottom out too soon and not let it swivel enough. There may not be enough swivel even if the spring were removed. I have hesitated working on it without a spare as I don’t know if they can be purchased from Walthers; I need to give them a call. I have also considered trying to add springs to Train Station Products Amfleet diaphragms, but I haven’t checked to see if they are the same size, and it would probably be more difficult than using the originals.
Alden McBee
Wheeling, WV

Re: [SergentEng] walthers amfleet cars

Nathan Rich
 

On my friend's layout I was having problems with my Coast Starlight train, the F couplers I used on the locomotives and the H coupler on the front of the baggage car did not like his trackwork. He has too much vertical curve in places, which is caused by lack of quality control on the construction of the benchwork and having the transitions between graded and level track be too much. This is where having proper coupler height really comes into play!

I love the H couplers and they look amazing on my Sounder cars and Amtrak stock. On the Sounders I did need to revert to Kadee between the cars and between the locomotive and F on the locomotive and H on the cab car. I'd like to have them all in their proper place but having good track to run on is key.

Nathan Rich

On Monday, December 14, 2015, 'David R. Olsen' drolsen@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:
 

Hi Alden,

 

Thanks, I didn't realize the new Amfleet cars had a different style of diaphragm spring, but it makes sense that they would be evolving.  I always thought the old metal leaf spring was kind of "iffy," since it was at risk of popping loose inside the car, but that also made it fixable, whereas if plastic tabs on a one-piece diaphragm break, you're out of luck.

 

Walthers used to be good about spare parts.  When the first couple runs of Superliners came out, the windows were glued inside the undecorated cars, and Walthers sent me some spare windows and diaphragms after I broke a couple parts trying to disassemble one of the cars.  A few years ago, I bought a couple cheap Walthers passenger cars at a show that came without grab irons, and Walthers was willing to sell me a couple packets of the grabs.  I'm not sure I'd have that kind of luck getting parts now.  I haven't tried myself

 

I'm not sure if you've seen the TSP Amfleet diaphragms, but they are very thin in profile (like the prototype), about 1/3 of the Walthers version, so I'm not how you'd mount springs to them and conceal the springs.

 

Back to Sergents, I really need to get back to working on my Amtrak equipment now that I have some Type H couplers - they are fantastic, like every Sergent coupler, and they are one of the details that I waiting for to move forward with my Amtrak modeling.

 

Dave Olsen

Alexandria, VA
 

On Dec 13, 2015 at 10:52 PM, Alden G. McBee agm@... wrote: 
Hi Dave. The cars I have use a plastic leaf spring on each side of the diaphragm that is cast as part of the diaphragm. It seems to make the diaphragm bottom out too soon and not let it swivel enough. There may not be enough swivel even if the spring were removed. I have hesitated working on it without a spare as I don’t know if they can be purchased from Walthers; I need to give them a call. I have also considered trying to add springs to Train Station Products Amfleet diaphragms, but I haven’t checked to see if they are the same size, and it would probably be more difficult than using the originals.
Alden McBee
Wheeling, WV

N&W Excursion cars

Nathan Rich
 

I have a Bachmann J, a water tender, and 5 heavyweight excursion cars to go with it. What I cannot figure is if the cars should get E or H couplers- anybody know which? 

Nathan Rich

Use of Couplers

Joseph Pyland
 

OH BOY, I get to ask the first dumb question of the new year 

 

The different types of couplers (Type E & Type F,  and with Lower Shelf and Double Shelf,  Type H) , what is used where?

I know that Type E is used on most freight cars, passenger equipment uses Type H, tank cars use Double Shelf (E or F??), but what else is used where (I have seen some Lower Shelfs, but do not remember on what)?

 

I just am trying to get it right, like the look of Sergent couplers, and they are cheaper then KaDees (hate #$%! plastic couplers).

 

Thank you,

Joe P