Re: Recommendations and Advice for Someone New to Sergent Couplers

Alan Hummel

How old is your son? I ask because of the level of care needed for proper assembly for good working & that wasn't meant in a derogatory manner,just the opposite.

The type coupler you choose,depends to a high degree on the era you're modeling in. Before 1975,the common E coupler would be my coupler of choice.

In 1975,the Government mandated that all tank cars carrying hazardous materials,install the double shelf couplers to keep an adjoining common E coupler from sliding up & out of the coupler on the tank car&puncturing the tank. In years since that date,the railroads have changed much of their engines & rolling stock over to double shelf couplers for tankers and lower shelf couplers for non hazardous cargos.

Again,depending on your era of modeling interest,will depend on your couplers of choice. You can have E couplers,SE,(double shelf E couplers),SBE,(E lower shelf couplers),SF,(double shelf F couplers),F couplers&H couplers all intermingled,again depending on era of modeling. The H couplers are designed primarily for passenger trains.

Hope this helps.
Al Hummel