Re: [SergentEng] New guy with some thoughts about couplers

John Niemeyer <jniemeyer@...>

Jeff

I use a wheel interference tester fro Crystal River Products http://www.crystalriverproducts.com/Products/Accessories/wheel_interference_tester.htm I use the HOn3 17” radius #720-117. If the clearance is good at 17” then I will have no problems on any larger radius. In some cases I use the Kadee 714 coupler pocket of even just the centering pin removed from the Accumate box.

John

Hi John,

Those are MTL coal cars.  I have some Grandt Line and La Belle coal car and boxcar kits, but I haven’t assembled any of them yet.

More info on the MTL coal car Sharon install here:

Dale thought I might have issues with the Accumate boxes fouling the trucks of these cars on short-radius turns.  I’ve nothing tighter than 25” on my layout at present, but I’m constructing a couple of test tracks at 18” and 15” radii to experiment with.  (My layout probably won’t ever go below 18”, but it’ll be good to have the info.)

Cheers,
Jeff.