Re: [SergentEng] Couplers sticking open

Ryan Harris

James,

I'm glad my discovery might help you. I'm in the midst of a similar effort - getting models ready for an event - and that's what led to figuring this out. Nobody will remember the hundreds of flawlessly operating couplers, only the one that sticks.

I'll also add that I love my Optivisor. I must have spent the past two years building models simply by knowing what should go where. It's nice to see what I've been missing since I hit the forties.

Ryan H
Fort Worth, TX

On 9/17/2015 7:36 AM, jameskoretsky@... [SergentEng] wrote:

Ryan,

This is quite timely actually, as I spent labor day weekend assembling and installing Sergent Type E's from the bulk packs on some TOFC cars, ready for use at a show coming up in Syracuse, NY in November.

I had one that was sticking open, and wouldn't close without some serious force. I found just like you, that there was a little piece on the arm that I hadn't cut off (I wasn't checking this at all, as most of the ones that I'd assembled were perfect), so it wouldn't go back in letting the ball drop, without some brute force. I put the coupler aside and disassembled it later on with some acetone and was able to trim it off, and file at and clean it up, and I made sure to make sure that I didn't cut too much off, then filed the rest off.

Since I bought some Optivisors through my Eye Doctor, assembling these couplers has been a breeze and operation has been perfect. The optivisor are perfect for finding any tiny pieces of flash that need to be removed.

Thanks for your solution, should I remove too much, I'll look at what you did to resolve.

James