Re: [SergentEng] Re: Coupler bining in draft gear boxes

Ryan Harris

Autoracks definitely have a longer shank than covered hoppers or tank cars, but it isn't as apparent as on centerbeams. In the same way that the shank moves in and out of the draft gear on a centerbeam as part of the cushioning mechanism, so the same occurs on an autorack. You can see the action as the cars change from draft to buff or vice versa (you can certainly feel it), but generally they operate in a state of equilibrium.

I don't think the extra length is as apparent as on a centerbeam, but there's something there. I have several autoracks with the standard Sergent E coupler installed, but they always look like they're in buff to me. I intend to buy some +0.1" shank couplers when they are available again to see how they look. I tried the +0.13" shanks and they are too much, but they look okay on bulkhead flats.

Ryan H
Fort Worth, TX

On 8/21/2015 1:57 PM, 'David R. Olsen' drolsen@... [SergentEng] wrote:

On Aug 17, 2015, at 10:52, Nathan Rich <thaddeusthudpucker@...> wrote:As to longer shank couplers, I find that whatever looks right is probably the best. In practice on 1:1 I have seen some pretty long drawbars on centerbeam cars, but not autoracks.

Just FYI, Intermountain's new bi-level autoracks, which are beautiful despite the issues with the warped side panels, will require long shank Sergents because of the way the coupler mounts are designed. I disassembled one with the intent of converting the couplers, only to discover that the coupler swing mechanism that allows the car to operate on tighter curves is inset from the end of the car, so it requires a longer shank just to have the coupler protrude from the end of the car.

I didn't have any long shank Sergents at the time I was attempting the conversion, but I've picked up some since. I'll try to report back when I've had a chance to try them.

Dave Olsen
Alexandria, VA