Re: [SergentEng] Re: EOT's

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

Hello Group,

I am looking at a rather simple EOT marking devise. Basically a red flag stuck into the coupler.

Basically this is a bit of shim brass wrapped on one edge around a brass rod and soldiered. The shim brass is the size of the flag and folded and otherwise shaped to look like it is hanging limp. The base of the brass rod would have a blob of “something” shaped to fit into the closed coupler. The brass rod would be attached to the said blob of “something”.

There can be variations to this mounting method. The rod could be passed through and attached to a flange that sits atop the coupler at an angle to represent a flag that had flopped over to one side a bit. The shim brass of the flag would then be shaped to the proper limp look.

A handful of these is all that are needed for my layout. Easy to make. Easy to install and uninstall. Very much an added touch on the mixed train daily except Sunday service on my layout.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 21, 2015, at 11:56 AM, Todd Templeton ns2700@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

If someone made a scale EOT that would hang on a Sergent coupler, I would buy 8-10 of them. I don't want any dedicated EOT cars.
A cast metal EOT would be really nice, hint, hint!
I know Details West makes one, but it does not look like any EOT's I see.

Todd Templeton

On Aug 21, 2015 1:41 PM, "'David R. Olsen' drolsen@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

On Aug 19, 2015, at 11:00, Nathan Rich <thaddeusthudpucker@...> wrote:
As long as the thing is scale sized it could even have a couple of nubs on the side that slot into the indentations on the side of the coupler...

I've thought a little about this, and I figured the best way to mount one temporarily (so you're not stuck with a dedicated EOT car) would be to make an L-shaped plug that you could just stick down into the coupler when the knuckle was locked in the closed position. You could bend a short piece of wire at a right angle and drill out a short section of styrene rod to fit over the wire. Pick a size of rod that would fit snugly inside the Sergent knuckle, and you could insert the "plug" into the coupler to mount the EOT.  Depending on what material the EOT device is made of, you could glue or solder the wire plug to the back of it.  Hope that makes sense...

Dave Olsen
Alexandria, VA