Re: Coupler bining in draft gear boxes

David R. Olsen <drolsen@...>

On Aug 17, 2015, at 10:52, Nathan Rich <thaddeusthudpucker@...> wrote:As to longer shank couplers, I find that whatever looks right is probably the best. In practice on 1:1 I have seen some pretty long drawbars on centerbeam cars, but not autoracks.

Just FYI, Intermountain's new bi-level autoracks, which are beautiful despite the issues with the warped side panels, will require long shank Sergents because of the way the coupler mounts are designed. I disassembled one with the intent of converting the couplers, only to discover that the coupler swing mechanism that allows the car to operate on tighter curves is inset from the end of the car, so it requires a longer shank just to have the coupler protrude from the end of the car.

I didn't have any long shank Sergents at the time I was attempting the conversion, but I've picked up some since. I'll try to report back when I've had a chance to try them.

Dave Olsen
Alexandria, VA