Re: [SergentEng] Non-closing knuckle update

Tim L

I guess I can give an update of sorts. Hopefully Frank can give a more
comprehensive update.

Frank has been very busy working on this and believes the end solution
is in sight, if not arrived. I know it's been a long time but for those
that don't know what Frank had to do I'll try and explain it.

He had to try and figure out what change in process(es) in the past may
have caused or contributed to the problem, then tweak the design to
overcome it, cast up a bunch of couplers, assemble and test them; and
then tweak, cast, assemble and test again, and repeat ad infinitum
until hitting a design that doesn't exhibit the problem. If Franks
estimates were correct this would have taken about 2 weeks per
iteration.

Now, for Luther, I'm at a bit of a loss to understand your comment.
I'm not sure if you have seen the posts before but the diecast couplers
(basically anything available as a bulk pack) were not affected by this
problem so you can quite safely use them, they would probably cover 90%
or more of your needs without ever using the investment cast couplers
which are really speciality / modern couplers.

Best to yo all,

Tim
Land of OZ

On 15/08/2015 05:33, Alan Hummel ahummel72@... [SergentEng] wrote:
Hello all,

I've had a lot on my plate lately so have been out of touch on any
updates & solutions to the coupler knuckles freezing open on couplers
you assemble. Are there any updates on what exactly was going on there &
permanent solutions,or maybe I should say the best 8 out of 10
solutions, to the problem?

I've had 1 assembled knuckle do a lot of that,but always seem to be able
to get it to move again. The odd thing is I can close it with the wire
on the magnetic wand every time,just not in coupling as well. I buy my
couplers assembled as the eyes & fingures,as well as my patience,won't
allow putting couplers together.

Thanks to all for all input in advance.
Al Hummel