Re: [SergentEng] Re: S Scale answers

John Degnan

Dave, Earl,

It has been around about a year ago, give or take a few months, so I don't remember Frank's exact words... but he once told me that offering more than one shank design for his couplers would be no big issue due to the may he was/is making them.  I am only assuming that his production method has not changed since then... mainly because I don't remember what method he was using at the time we had that conversation... but if nothing has changed siince then, I see no reason why he wouldn't be willing/able to offer the Sharon in two forms - one to fit a Kadee S box and the other to fit a Kadee HO box. He is doing exavtly this with his HO couplers with the EC and EN shank variant... so... why would it not be possible in S (without a major cost investment)?

John Degnan

To: SergentEng@...
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2013 7:22:14 AM
Subject: [SergentEng] Re: S Scale answers

Dave Heine writes,

> I guess if you made an S scale Sharon coupler that fit in a Kadee HO box,
> that would be better for an O scale ¾ size coupler and would also work for
> Sn3 for those narrow gauge roads that used the full size couplers, like the
> D&RGW and RGS.

Frank had thrown out an S scale Sharon coupler as a possibility earlier in his development schedule, and I was a little
dissapointed that it did not come to fruition. Let us hope his S scale Type E coupler sales encourage him to offer a
second design. As they are investment cast, tooling costs are not quite the issue they are for die cast. A Kadee HO
compatible post would not be my personal first choice for S scale standard gauge equipment, but if that is what it took
for Frank to generate the sales he needs...

Earl Tuson

Join SergentEngineering@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.