Re: [SergentEng] We've got trouble in River City

Mike Conder

Interesting ...

I've been using the new Sharon couplers (I am a TOC narrow gauger) and the website now recommends using a solvent-based spray (Krylon?  I forget exactly).  Wonder if that would help prevent some of this.

It does sound like some sort of atmospheric corrosion, a bit unexpected.

Mike Conder

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Mike Van Hove mvanhove@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Mike, some were painted with acrylic craft paint, some were not painted at all.

I believe the painting was done after assembly.  The painting was done with very light, thin coats.  They were brush painted.  I did try to keep the paint on the outside of the couplers.

Some of the painted couplers have the white dust, some don't.  Most of the unpainted ones have the white dust.

I looked at them again, and I see that the painted ones have it on the face of the moveable knuckle and the inside of the fixed jaw, where the paint got rubbed off when I did the "Breaking in".

It would appear the white dust occurs where there is no paint.

Thanks,

another Mike

On Jul 1, 2015, at 1:20 AM, Mike Conder vulturenest1@... [SergentEng] wrote:

Mike, did you paint your couplers before assembly, or assemble them without painting?

Mike Conder