Re: [SergentEng] Coupler

Tim L

I've always been a bit backwards :-) At least I had the right two
companies.

To address Mikes response; Value for money, like beauty, is always
going to be in the eye of the beholder. Besides the exchange rate and
shipping (which does add a lot to the pricey tag) unless things have
changed since I last read up on them you basically get a bag of raw
parts (magnets, rubber tube and wire) which you have to cut to length
and glue. The perceived value of those raw parts and the amount of work
that has to be done by me against the retail value is what I call
pricey - I think we could be paying more for the idea than the value of
the product included.

On the flip side I don't think yourself, or anyone here calls Franks
couplers pricey but I've read it many, many times on the 'net. To them,
the perceived value of those little bit's of Zinc and they still have
to assemble them (or pay more for it to already be done) makes it
pricey.

I'll stop now, I'm just rambling on going nowhere fast. Perhaps I
shouldn't have called them pricey as I don't have the facts on cost
but that's just my perception.

Best to you all,

Tim
Land of OZ

On 15/05/2015 02:49, Arved Grass arved_grass@yahoo.com [SergentEng] wrote:
You have it precisely 180 degrees backward. :-) They're made by North
American Railcar Corporation, and sold exclusively by Pacific Western
Rail Systems. $34.95 (give or take depending on US/Canadian exchange
rate) for 10 pair.

About 20 years ago, there was an article in (I believe) Railmodel
Journal. It wasn't specifically about modeling magnetic air hoses, but
had a caption in one of the photos that the modeler used cut up bits of
refrigerator magnets as glad hands for his models. The thinnest
(business card type) refrigerator magnets I've seen is 12 mil.

That may be another option. Look at the refrigerator magnet your pizza
guy gave you. I bet you cold make a whole lot of glad hands for zero
dollars investment!

Arved Grass