Re: [SergentEng] Sharon couplers in Kadee 711/714 boxes

Mike Conder

A group of us worked on an article about applying the new Sergent Sharon couplers for the latest HOn3 Annual.  John Neimeyer has installed a number of these, and the RNB87's are supposed to be a drop-in fit for Blackstone cars.  They should have also been a perfect fit for RailLine box cars, but John found the RNC's worked better.

Not a lot of difference between the two, the RNC's are a mere 1/32" longer than the RNB's.  More info is in the article.

Mike Conder

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 7:53 PM, tomkevans@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Sergents group,

     I'm thinking of changing my old-time wooden cars over from Kadee 711's to the Sergent Sharon couplers (which are a perfect match for my prototype).  I believe that the narrow-shank ones will fit in my 711 boxes, but I don't know whether I need the RNC87K long-shank or the RNB87K short-shank ones. For my early era, I don't want much shank showing (prototype is about 2"), but I don't even know whether the short-shank couplers will work at all.

     If anyone has experience with this conversion, I'd appreciate hearing what you've discovered.

     Narrow-gaugers note:  The 714 narrow-gauge coupler is exactly the same as the 711 only with a shorter trip-pin, so your experience would also help here.

Many thanks - Tom Evans