From: "'David R. Olsen' drolsen@... [SergentEng]"
To: SergentEng@...
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2014 7:37 AM
Subject: [SergentEng] Re: Which couplers

If it helps, here are some detail shots of the front coupler on an Amtrak P42 - I believe this is a Type F coupler:

AMTK 189:
http://drolsen.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1363585
http://drolsen.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1363585
http://drolsen.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1363600

Here's the coupler on an Amfleet I coach for comparison (note that it doesn't have a lower shelf):
http://drolsen.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2558962
http://drolsen.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2558961

My understanding is that the rule of thumb is Type Fs on locomotives and Type H on passenger cars.

Dave Olsen
Alexandria, VA