Re: [SergentEng] Re: Which couplers


The type H doesn't have shelfs (or hoods, as they are sometimes called). "The bottom shelf Type "SBE" was available in 1968, the top and bottom shelf Type "SE" and "SF" couplers were standard for tank cars in 1975." (ref.

The NMRA has a Data Sheet, quite nice really, about prototype couplers:

My unscientific observations are that the bottom shelf SBE are much more common on today's freight cars. I've heard the reason is that, should a knuckle break, the bottom shelf of the opposing coupler won't allow it to drop to the roadbed. That is, the broken knuckle will be retained by the knuckle and lower shelf of coupler it was coupled to.
I hope this helps someone,

Arved Grass
Arved_Grass@... or Arved@...
Fleming Island, Florida

From: "'David R. Olsen' drolsen@... [SergentEng]"
To: SergentEng@...
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2014 7:37 AM
Subject: [SergentEng] Re: Which couplers

If it helps, here are some detail shots of the front coupler on an Amtrak P42 - I believe this is a Type F coupler:

AMTK 189:

Here's the coupler on an Amfleet I coach for comparison (note that it doesn't have a lower shelf):

My understanding is that the rule of thumb is Type Fs on locomotives and Type H on passenger cars.

Dave Olsen
Alexandria, VA

Join to automatically receive all group messages.