Re: [SergentEng] Re: S-scale couplers

Mark Plank

Thanks for the update, and reasoning, Frank.

Mark Plank
Also waiting for the S scale couplers.

On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 10:08 PM, fsergent@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Hi Earl and all,

First of all, I was able to evaluate the 50 knuckle castings from the test run today and they look great. That means the tool worked well the first time, and the machine will start cranking out production parts very soon.

With regard to bulk packages in S scale, that can really only happen if all the pieces are die cast. The knuckle is the only part that is die cast for now. This puts me in a similar situation to one of the HO scale "specialty" couplers like a FC87. That part also uses investment cast top and bottom castings plus a diecast knuckle - and I don't offer that in bulk packs either. For the investment cast parts, time and money go up linearly with quantity so there is no such thing as quantity discounts. Sorry.

Before anybody ask, I need to have visions of selling a few hundred thousand couplers before it make sense to dump the money into full die cast tooling for a product. I don't really see that in S scale. I do hope to get the money back for the S scale knuckle. I hope.